The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
santiago

Usage of Mirrors for greenhouses.

My wardrobe mirror cracked and i have ample mirror glass which ill put to some use at a later date. I have been thinking what to do with it and i was going to save it for craft of artwork for example. Prolly 3 metres squared is how much.

Anyway i have built a few mini greenhouses here and there but hope one day to build something a little more permanent. Had a bit of a looksky online and did find a tiny bit of reading but not a heap. So has anyone ever incorporated mirrors into a greenhouse here at the forum. Any tips, is there any point, does it really change anything for the better or is in fact detrimental given some conditions.

Should i save my mirrors for craft or is there some usage in regards to practicle greenhousery?

http://www.marspedia.org/index.php?title=Greenhouse

not sure about mirrors but i have used emergency blankets, the shiney metallic ones. people get rapped in them when the have hypothermia. any who i put them around my fish tank when im germinating seeds so the light doesn't escape.

Mirrors are one of the worst light reflecting options you could choose. Painting the walls flat white would have much better results. Alternately lining them with panda wrap would be great. Mirrors WILL work but not very well. I would save the mirror for artistry, sell the art and buy some reflective wrapping for the greenhouse !

MATERIAL - PERCENT REFLECTED

Foylon - 94 to 95%

Mylar - 90 to 95%

Flat white paint - 85 to 93%

Aluminum Foil - 75%

Mirrors are listed even lower, As the light has to pass through the protective glass coating once to reach the mirror and again to bounce back it looses a lot of its "oomfh"

All the best,

DS

Edited by DarkSpark

and reflecting lgiht will liekyl have bad results on scorching plants if you manage it, and mayeb even get too hot for the plastic. I would use it to heat water to circulate through the GH if anything.