The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
adios

A.Obtusifolia

I am trying to find someone who has grown this plant before how well it can take cold weather!

Maybe someone could tell me where to find a place who could supply me with seed.

Tolerates cold really well.

remeber, members of this species get snowed on, so they are really hardy. i have seedling which have been exposed to -2 recently and no sign at all of any damege wheras soft foliage plants are showing lots of leaf damage.

They are as hardy as old boot leather IMO, so i wouldnt worry at all.

As far as sources of seed try some of the ethnobotany realted websites, or there may be people who may be able to help you for larger amounts.

Cheers, Obtuse.

Has anyone noticed seedlings drop their leaves in cold weather?

Recently started my first lot and am wondering if this is normal or if I might have a bad soil mix.

Edited by Dale Cooper

I have read some grow logs on this tree here in these forums which were really intriguing.

I am sure that this tree is a rarity in the United States.I find that hard to believe that it will only

tolerate certain soils.I am hoping to find someone who may have extra seed that may want trade.

As far as tolerance to soils i think its got more to do with the symbiotic nitrogen-fixing bacteria present in the soil and whether the soil is able to support them. i would think this tree would do ok in most soils, but they are definitely advantaged by the presence of the micro-organisms.

as per the leaves, the adult leaves are definitely very hardy, but the bi-pinnate leaves are more delicate. i killed quite a few at the juvenile stage as a result of unnatural conditions, and too rapidly moving from one environment to another.

as far as growing them in the states, i dont see why you couldnt, but you would be benefited by using soil from around fabaceae species, such as mimosa, hopefully the bacteria would be able to create the necessary symbiotic relationship.

from memory there was a mob who sold bulk acacia seeds. were they a regen group, or private company? anyway im sure some-one else would know, or just use the search engine, i remember seeing a link somewhere. whether they would export though is another question.

Cheers, Obtuse.

i will move this discussion to the native plant forum tomorrow.

i guess it can survive minus 5 deg C or probably even more.