The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alchemica

Kudzu (Pueraria lobata)

I've just finished my first 150g of Peuraria lobata 40% isoflavone extract and while I personally didn't notice any beneficial effects on reducing alcohol intake (just attempting to get the most from my kJ's), I'd like to know if others have found it useful? I was taking ~500mg to 1g, up to twice daily but that might be too much.

One thing I noticed (not sure that it can be directly attributed to the kudzu) is that I seem to have hangovers of greater intensity (normally I don't have them) if using a high dose.

Please add anything you wish to say. One retailer for kudzu is Koda Phytorium. If you would like the supplier of the 40% isoflavone extract, PM me.

The only supplements I can so far personally recommend, having noticed some benefit related to alcohol consumption, are N-acetyl-L-cysteine, silymarin/Milk thistle extract, acetyl-L-carnitine, alpha-lipoic acid and vitamin C (mainly aimed at preventing side-effects, NAC is however promising as an anti-addiction therapy, too). Please list any others if you like.

"Kudzu treatment resulted in significant reduction in the number of beers consumed that was paralleled by an increase in the number of sips and the time to consume each beer and a decrease in the volume of each sip. These changes occurred in the absence of a significant effect on the urge to drink alcohol. There were no reported side effects of kudzu treatment." [Link]

" Alcohol resulted in a dose-related alteration in subjective measures of intoxication, impairment of stance stability, and vigilance/reaction time. Kudzu extract did not alter participants’ subjective responses to the alcohol challenge or to alcohol’s effects on stance stability or vigilance/reaction time. However, individuals treated with kudzu extract experienced a slightly more rapid rise in plasma ethanol levels, but only after the 0.7 g/kg dose. This transient effect during the first 30 minutes of the ascending plasma alcohol curve lasted only 10–15 minutes; there were no differences in peak plasma alcohol levels or alcohol elimination kinetics. Additionally, kudzu pretreatment enhanced the effects of the 0.7 g/kg dose of alcohol on heart rate and skin temperature.These data suggest that individuals who drink alcohol while being treated with kudzu extract experience no adverse consequences, and furthermore the reported reductions in alcohol intake after kudzu extract treatment are not related to an alteration in alcohol’s subjective or psychomotor effects." [Link] [Commentary]

"Kudzu and its extracts and flowers have been used in traditional Chinese folk medicine to treat alcoholism for about 1,000 years. Kudzu contains daidzin, an anti-drinking substance. Daidzin inhibits human aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH-2), which metabolizes alcohol into acetaldehyde. Inhibiting ALDH-2 promotes the accumulation of acetaldehyde, which has aversive effects. A recent test of a synthetic ALDH-2 inhibitor (CVT-10216) on rodents shows that it reduces drinking and prevents relapse by increasing acetaldehyde while drinking and later decreasing dopamine in the brain region that controls relapse during abstinence." [Link]

"Studies have shown that kudzu can reduce both hangovers and alcohol cravings. The mechanism for this is not yet established, but it may have to do with both alcohol metabolism and the reward circuits in the brain. Kudzu also contains a number of useful isoflavones, including daidzein (an anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial agent), daidzin (a cancer preventive) and genistein (an antileukemic agent). Kudzu is a unique source of the isoflavone, puerarin. Kudzu root compounds can affect neurotransmitters (including serotonin, GABA, and glutamate) and it has shown value in treating migraine and cluster headache. In traditional Chinese medicine, kudzu was used for tinnitus, vertigo, and Wei syndrome (superficial heat close to the surface)." [Wikipedia]

Constituents: The active constituents of kudzu include daidzin, daidzein, puerarin, genistin, genistein, tectorigenin, glycitin, tectoridin, 6"-O-xylosyltectoridin, 6"-O-xyloglycitin, biochanin A, and spinasterol.

Two oleanane-type triterpene saponins named pedunsaponins B2 and C3 were isolated from the roots of Pueraria peduncularis.55 Their structures were determined to be 3-O-(6-O-methyl)-beta-glucuronopyranosyl-3beta,15alpha-dihydroxyolean-12-en-16-one (2), and 3-O-beta-glucopyranosyl-(1 --> 3)-beta-glucuronopyranosyl-3beta,15alpha-dihydroxyoleana-12-en-16-one (3).

Alcohol effects: The isoflavones daidzein, genistein, formononetin and biochanin A isolated from kudzu root have shown to be potent reversible human alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) isoenzyme inhibitors in vitro. The isoflavones produced a competitive inhibition of gamma(g)2-g2-ADH-isoenzyme with respect to ethanol and an uncompetitive inhibition of gamma(g)2-g2-ADH-isoenzyme with respect to NAD+. The most potent inhibitor was genistein with an effective concentration of 0.1micromole. Although flavones such as apigenin, kaempferol, 7-hydroxyflavone, and galangin also demonstrated ADH-inhibiting activity, the effects were more pronounced with isoflavones. No effects were seen in B1B1-ADH isoenzymes and B2B2-ADH isoenzymes when concentrations up to 20micromoles were used.

The isoflavones in kudzu root extract may suppress alcohol intake and alcohol withdrawal symptoms in animals, although the mechanism is unclear.

Kudzu may decrease peak blood alcohol levels due to delayed gastric emptying, exposing alcohol to a longer time for first-pass metabolism in the stomach. Slowed gastric emptying may prolong the effects of alcohol.

Kudzu may contribute to alleviating the adverse effects of ethanol ingestion by enhancing the lipid metabolism as well as the hepatic antioxidant defense system. Kudzu may also have an appetite suppressant effect for alcohol.

The flowers of kudzu exhibit protective effects against ethanol-induced apoptosis in human neuroblastoma cells by inhibiting the expression of a protease, caspase-3 that is responsible for proteolytic cleavage of many proteins.

More...

[source]

Other potentially useful supplements, a small selection I've stumbled on:

Chrysin Modulates Ethanol Metabolism in Wistar Rats: A Promising Role against Organ Toxicities.

The protective effect of quercetin on long-term alcohol consumption-induced oxidative stress.

Osthole improves alcohol-induced fatty liver in mice by reduction of hepatic oxidative stress

Combined natural product extract for reducing alcohol related fatty liver

Berberine protects C57BL/6J mice against ethanol withdrawal-induced hyperexcitability

Evaluation of the Anxiolytic Activity of NR-ANX-C (a Polyherbal Formulation) in Ethanol Withdrawal-Induced Anxiety Behavior in Rats

Cyanidin-3-glucoside ameliorates ethanol neurotoxicity in the developing brain.

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 1

One input of one member, thanks:

"I've been using this herb on and off for ages now. When I'm really serious about stopping alcohol for a bit, it really works. I found the root extracts slow and useless, so i moved onto the flower - i decoct for about 20 mins about 3 heaped dessertspoons full for about 1.5 cups. this decoction can be done twice, yeilding 3 cups all up. It seems good for hangovers too but i've never really used it for that.

The only other things I've tried that come close to helping is zopiclone, lysergides (lsa/lsd/cabergoline) and good old shrooms."

Edited by Alchemica

Interesting Alchemica.

Kudzu contains daidzin, an anti-drinking substance. Daidzin inhibits human aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH-2), which metabolizes alcohol into acetaldehyde. Inhibiting ALDH-2 promotes the accumulation of acetaldehyde, which has aversive effects

On a similar note, I can't understand why disulfiram is prescription only. That just seems bizarre to me. I know a lot of people who would like to force themselves into that situation (initial dose can last up to a week in some cases apparently, and nausea begins shortly after the first drink) but for various reasons are not in a position to have it on record with their GP.