The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

P. carthagenensis

Has the activity of this plant been confirmed?

Would it be possible to graft a P. viridis onto a P. carthagenensis to get a faster/hardier producer going?

Doesn't seem to be as much info in the search engine as I rememeber.

yes i believe it has

not by extraction but by bioassay

but not by me

my poor plant struggles on...damn i feel inadequeste i cant even grow the carth which is meant to be easy!

however just how much one has to compensate i volume in place of viridis has not been oficilayy quantified

anyone have P alba yet?

or P poeppigiana?

also supposedly usefully active

tantra was working on that one.

I have viridis and carth., I'm gonna get alba from Brian this week too, hope it'll survive the heat

As soon as I have a P. viridis and P. carthagenensis that are old enough, I think I'll try the graft.

Of course, I only just ordered some seed of the first one so that's a fair while off :P

Stonehenge:

Alba is almost impossible to distinguish from viridis. I have some alba seedlings but they are not impressive.

Stoney

Viridis is easy to distinguish from Alba if you know what to look for on the leaves,... I remember that the FBI site has a good piece done on how to distinguish Viridis, with drawings.

On the underside of Viridis leaves there should be two very thiny tubes with small holes on each side of the center of the leaf stem.

stoney, only the big viridis leaves have those spikes. even people growing viridis in europe spotted them...

is your viridis still young, or under nurtured, as this might explain the lack of those spikes?

[ 23. June 2005, 07:17: Message edited by: planthelper ]

PH, I have several viridis that are about 3 years old. Ringworm who is an expert grower said the same thing about them showing the darts under certain conditions and not under others.

Stoney

they are very distinctive - the espinas

can we get a picture up plz to demonstrate

(i dont have any viridis anymore :( )

I wonder if there is a connection with espinas and virotes in ayahuasca culture. hmm something to ponder.

There are pics of espinas around on the net, but i'm pretty sure even my tiny viridis is starting to get them, extremely minor atm, but limited small ones appear to be forming.

Rev what problems are you having with growing carth?? To me, it's almost like sit back and let them do their own thing. Got a bit narcy when humidity drops really low (esp HPS ) but still springs back nicely once back in a good environment, they are actually still putting out new leaves in a small bunnings greenhouse, but still surrounded by cold bricks.

Diplopterys genus (20-30 sp???)looks to have very little understanding, yet looks quite promising. There must be a wealth of vines/shrubs throughout the more southern americas with very similar chemistry. Reading through schultes/raffauf work in the NW amazon, many tribes are using tetrapterys spp, banisteriopsis spp, diplopterys spp. etc interchangibly in their visionary brews. Some are looked at as more toxic by certain tribes, but one example seemed to point more to the admixture ie possibly solely from a curare source additive.

I love these plants, all the yage/ayahuasca types, so much character about them, or maybe it's all in my head hehe :D Purely from a spiritual physical plant view though, not solely because of the brew.

arghh matey, here's some pics of mulgas site with viridis, have seen better pics floating around. http://mulga.yage.net/photo.html

[ 27. June 2005, 06:01: Message edited by: gerbil ]

i dont know

they just seem to die on me and theres nothing i can do to stop them. drop their leaves and frazzle up or rot from the base

i think im toxic to them :(

plenty of other planst love me though :) I can now add lagochilus to that list :D

right now i have 1 carth with 2 half unfolded leaves that are just sitting there

its looking ok but its shits me that its said to be such a hardy plant

i have teh same problem with cucumbers they just wont grow for me but ill keep trying

my viridis carked it too but again ill try and try again to figure out this plant

espinas

psych4.jpg

[ 27. June 2005, 09:29: Message edited by: Rev ]

Excellent, my two P. viridis are P. viridis as they have those little thingamabobbers (someone said they might have been P. alba). My plants are doing extremely well in the Northern Hemisphere where summer just arrived. I must have a nack for these things as I've had them for a few years and they grows great every season with flowers on every shoot (which I pinch off to keep the power to leaf growth).

In the winter it goes (both are in one large pot together) on a table in a somewhat south facing winter (south being good up here), and I don't water until I notice it starting to wilt. With temps in the house hovering around 19 degrees I don't have to water but once every couple weeks or more. I don't want long stringy (etiolated) growth due to the lowered light of winter, so I stick it into dormancy a bit and it comes out fine in the spring.

I've had scale on the plants since I got them, but I've gotten them back quite a bit. I look over the plant all the time for the buggers, and smash them with my fingernail. Occassionally when I miss a few they explode all over a shoot and so I just pinch the whole damn thing off to be safe. Nice plant.

~Michael~

[ 27. June 2005, 22:22: Message edited by: M S Smith ]

Stonehenge:

PH, I have several viridis that are about 3 years old. Ringworm who is an expert grower said the same thing about them showing the darts under certain conditions and not under others.

Stoney

I bought plants from Ringworm sold to me as VIRIDIS,... turns out that they are ALBA!!!! So you know. I am not dissapointed, because I still have a good plant to brew with,.. just takes about 30% more leaves. Alba is more common with the St Daime I have read.

Rev:

(i dont have any viridis anymore   :(  )

ESPINA(S) is the spanish word for SPINE(S)

That's weird rev, this year has been our absolute best cucumber season in our backyard. usually it's no where near as fruitfull.

I kind of do what MS said, water them just as they show signs of wilting, but not too late or else they can take a couple of days to get back on track. But i also chuck on small bits of h20 whenever it feels right. You've probably already done this, but maybe increase the drainage, some of my mixes were like cacti soil, a bit too free draining, but it just needed more attention. Might be worth trying them with a really free draining mix in flood and drain hydro?

Hey good to hear of the lago, hope it grows well for you.

brian:

I bought plants from Ringworm sold to me as VIRIDIS,... turns out that they are ALBA!!!!

I too have several plants of "Ringworm" clone, and they (still) don't have any espinas either.

p.s. Just checked my plants and found that some of hawaiian viridis plants have grown their espinas at last! (it's their 4th year). Still only the largest leaves have them.

IME alba has a more rounded leaf than viridis. less pendulous as well.

brian:

brian:

(i dont have any viridis anymore    :(   )

ESPINA(S) is the spanish word for SPINE(S) got that just thought that keeping espinas sounds better so that newbs dont go looking for sharp spines :)

Gerbil - i put my P carth in the F n D and its doing OK. took a bit of getting used to the HID tho

This one was labeled as Psychotria Viridris. I suppose it is actually alba or carthagenenis. It´s hard to tell. There are no Espinias present and neither did they showed up during the years of cultivation!

Best Regards!

th_7a2_HPIM0070.JPG