The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Slybacon

Retrospective Legislation

The following is a response I recieved on my email regarding the govt retrospective legislation change for NSW Gross feed in Tariff. It effects the solar industry but the damage is far reaching and effects all industry. You simply cannot trust what the Govt tells you and undermines the trust of all australians.....

We've already made an impact. Sister rallies are starting up in Albury and Lismore, some are travelling from far afield to attend Sydney's rally tomorrow.

Today its time to build momentum. People are talking, but not loudly enough.

Everyone must see that retrospective legislation undermines the fabric of our society. But we still have to win the minds of many. And we still have to safeguard the interests of all Australian solar households: past, present, and future. Today is the day to act. If you haven't done so already, please email all of your customers urging they contact the media and their local politician, to let them know that retrospective legislation is unjust and intolerable.

Make sure you encourage your customers to post messages on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-for-Solar/211096198921304,'>http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-for-Solar/211096198921304, and to write to their local newspaper. Here's some excellent quotes:

From: http://www.smh.com.au/national/letters/gamblers-burnt-by-an-offer-too-good-to-be-true-20110516-1epzo.html#ixzz1MYVQZKxZ

Clifton Barker Wahroonga - "I've just checked my household budget and found it a bit low. After Barry O'Farrell's example, I am discounting my latest electricity bill. I applaud Mr O'Farrell's new way doing business. A similar letter has been sent to the ATO"

Chris Andrew Turramurra - "While I am not affected by the electricity rebate, I think we should thank the state government for raising the issue of retrospectively amending these contracts. We should also rethink retrospectively amending the generous superannuation entitlements which parliamentarians award themselves.The citizens of NSW would welcome this type of leadership."

From Facebook:

"If this legislation is passed I will never trust a government 'green' initiative again. What hope do we have of working towards a more environmentally sustainable future if politicians do not support green programs and the citizens that have in good faith invested in them. Poor form Barry!" - Theresa Beaumont

"Wish I could go to the rally (I live 5 hours away and the boss is on leave this week). We stand to lose around $5000 from this tariff cut. My pensioner mother-in-law will lose the same amount. So - stealing from pensioners - nice one Barry." - Janine Parlevliet

"So much for Barry O'Farrell's 'contract with NSW' - don't believe a word he says, anything can be undone with the stroke of a pen" - :Liz Hay

"The big problem is that we will not ever be able to trust governments again, about any thing that they say" - Nick Taber

"I'm in Seaham, North of Newcastle. I'll be coming to Sydney on Wednesday." - Joe Costello

"It's unbelievable, I live just over the border on the Gold Coast. Does this mean that if the LNP get into QLD they would do the same thing ?? How can they make it retrospective?? It's crazy" - Jane Power

"If they get away with reducing it from 60c to 40c, how long before they reduce it to 20c or even from a gross to a net feed-in tariff. They signed a contract with us, and they intend to break it." Juleeanne D'alcorn

There's also plenty of tweets at http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23rallyforsolar

A reminder, please do what you can to help spark the outcry:

Email every single one of your customers – past present and future, and encourage them to email politicians (sample text below), and to get active on facebook and twitter if they’re connected.

Join Facebook Pages: like: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-for-Solar/211096198921304

If you are near Sydney- attend: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=131075640300692

tweet: http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23rallyforsolar

If you are near Sydney, attend the Rally: The Rally will be held in the Barnet Long Room Customs House, 31 Alfred Street Circular Quay, Sydney from 11.30 to 12.30

Try and get a GetUp! campaign going by giving 3 votes to each of these:

http://suggest.getup.org.au/forums/60819-campaign-ideas/suggestions/1813467-nsw-government-slashing-the-solar-energy-tariff?utm_campaign=ShortUrls&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=suggest.getup.org.au

http://suggest.getup.org.au/forums/60819-campaign-ideas/suggestions/1812729-campaign-to-stop-nsw-liberal-government-from-retro?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=suggest.getup.org.au&utm_campaign=ShortUrls

5) Sign this online petition: http://www.feedintariff.com.au/results.php

Email and call your political representatives, especially those who hold balance of power:

the NSW Nationals, Fishers & Shooters Party, and Christian Democratic Party – contact details below

Contact Details:

Liberal Party

Premier [email protected]

Minister [email protected]

National Party

Andrew Stoner (Deputy Premier) [email protected]

Shooters and Fishers Party

Robert Borsak (S&FP) [email protected]

Robert Brown (S&FP) [email protected]

Christian Democratic Party

Fred Nile (CDP) [email protected];

Paul Green (CDP) [email protected]

Here is some sample text prepared by AuSES

Sir,

I am deeply concerned about the NSW decision to tear up the feed in contract the NSW Government has with the people of NSW.

I made an investment decision based on the rules laid out by the government. Now I am going to be punished for following the rules.

I am not alone. Over 120,000 households and businesses have invested large sums ($3,500 to $75,000) based on this legally binding promise, including a substantial amount in regional NSW.

Changing the rules retrospectively like this goes against the rule of law and fatally undermines public trust in government.

You need to act to restore fairness in NSW and protect the reputation of the state as a safe, stable place to invest and do business.

Do not allow this change to be made.

Vote no to retrospective cuts to solar, and yes to an immediate a 1:1 feed in tariff in NSW.

Edited by Slybacon

people might be more inclined to engage if they knew what you were talking about. it's not till the last paragraph that i get an idea what you are going for, but even that is a bit vague.

also, did you expect any different from a liberal government? just watch what happens when this disease goes national.

also, did you expect any different from a liberal government?

Judging by SlyBacon's posts I doubt he's too trusting of the government.

You don't need to be surprised to be outraged.

Copy Pasted From Work - Edited to refelct Topic.....

Solar Rallies in NSW Announced

Update to supporters,

SAVE SOLAR RALLIES ACROSS NSW:

Solar is the People’s Power!

The ‘Save Solar’ Rallies are going to be rolled out across NSW in June to say YES to a fair price for solar going forward and NO to Barry O’Farrell’s retrospective legislation.

The rallies in Newcastle, Queanbeyan, Nowra, Gosford, Tamworth, Port Macquarie and Sydney need your support.

Barry O’Farrell plans to destroy NSW’s solar industry and renege on contracts to provide 120,000 solar customers with the 60c feed-in-tariff they relied on.

The rallies, which seek to establish a fair price for solar and ensure the sustainability and continuing viability of the industry, will culminate in a huge solar rally in Sydney. People power will close down Macquarie Street.

Show your support for the families who invested in good faith, the pensioners who will struggle financially if this proposed legislation succeeds, the businesses that may have to lay off workers and a clean energy future!

Attend your local ‘Save Solar Rally’ to say NO to retrospective legislation, NO to broken promises and NO to meaningless contracts.

Say YES to a clean energy future, job stability, accountable governments and solar energy.

‘Save Solar’ Rallies: NEWCASTLE: 11:30am Monday 6 June – Outside the Office of Timothy Owen MP 26 Bolton Street, Newcastle Organiser: Chanti Richardson [email protected]

QUEANBEYAN: 11:30am Tuesday 7 June – Outside the Office of John Barilaro MP 110 – 112 Monaro Street, Queanbeyan Organiser: Phil May [email protected]

NOWRA: 11:30am Tuesday 7 June – Outside the Office of Shelley Hancock MP Ground Floor, 8 Berry Street, Nowra Organiser: Cathy Gorman [email protected]

GOSFORD: 11:30am Wednesday 8 June – Outside the Office of Chris Hartcher MP Shop 3, Fountain Plaza, 148 – 158 The Entrance Road, Erina Organiser: Ged McCarthy [email protected]

TAMWORTH: 11:30am Thursday 9 June – Outside the Office of Andrew Fraser MP Ground Floor, 13 Fitzroy Street, Tamworth Organiser: Geoff Bragg [email protected]

PORT MACQUARIE: 11:30am Thursday 9 June – Outside the Office of Leslie Williams MP Suite 6, 27 Grant Street, Port Macquarie Organiser: Ged McCarthy [email protected]

THE BIG ONE: SYDNEY: 11:30am Tuesday 14 June – Outside NSW State Parliament People Power will close down Macquarie Street [email protected]

NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell says protests from the community and his own back bench convinced him to drop plans to slash the solar rebate with retrospective legislation.

"We've heard the community, we've heard our back bench and I've got to say, they've done a pretty good job of representing the community," he told Macquarie Radio today.

The government's solar legislation was not supported by the Christian Democrats or the Shooters and Fishers, whose votes were needed in the upper house of parliament.

"I spoke again yesterday to the crossbenchers ... and they made clear that if it involved rewriting of contracts, retrospective changes to contracts it was not going to get through the upper house," Mr O'Farrell said.

"On the basis of all that, we've accepted the reality, which is we can't proceed with this."

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

The solar rebate will now stay at 60 cents per kilowatt hour for existing subscribers who feed power into the grid, rather than being slashed to 40 cents.

The change would have saved taxpayers $471 million, Mr O'Farrell said.

Greens upper house MP John Kaye described the backdown as a victory for 110,000 households.

"Without an ongoing tariff for rooftop solar, households will not buy new units and the industry will waste away," he said in a statement.

People who join the scheme after April 28 will get 20 cents per kilowatt hour, under changes previously announced.

NICE!!!! This is a win for the people.