The Corroboree
Frank Costanza's Lawyer

Lycium Chinense - Goji Troubles

G'day

I recieved my Lycium chinense plant mid 2009 from SAB, went into a self watering hanging basket which I had set up as a wicking hydroponic dealy in close to full-sun, good vegetative growth as expected for half a year until I forgot to check the nutrients and disappeared into the bush for half a week, came back to a seemingly dead plant. Cut it rght back to rootstock, gave it a quarter strength feed, two weeks later it was back. Moved house, moved the goji into a bigger pot filled with nice forgiving soil, left it outside with my other plants. It continues to grow well, but cannot seem to hold onto its leaves weather it's in hydro or soil, only lightly flowers, does not seem to get polinated. In the ground now and same problem. U'dTFSE, many people seem to be having similar results, not many answers. The plant has lived all around Brisvegas but has currently settled in the ground at the back of my coastal rental where it gets about 8 hrs sun a day, a new datura grows quickly and happilly about a meter away. Gets regular Seasol, has a nice thick layer of seaweed mulch that was washed thoroughly, recently received some compost, gets slow release fert every few months, etc. so isn't neglected, however it hasn't been pruned and probably doesn't feel much stress these days. Will upload photos if anyone thinks it will be beneficial.

So on to the questions...

Who has had success with lycium? Where/why and of course how? Where did you acquire your seeds? What moves your pollen? What feeds on your plants? Any good companions? What are some known/suspected hindrances to happy Goji funtime? Any information that is relevant or even excessively askew will be appreciated as Google only seems to provide large quantities of the same shit and it seriously stinks.

Namaste

FCL

Edited by Frank Costanza's Lawyer

Same thing happens to mine. Grows a bit drops some leaves, grows some leaves & then drops them all.

I thought it was the change in temp & humidity over the warm summer to cooler days & then warm days again but its not consistent.

I also blamed the dogs as they like to eat some of the leaves & bury bones near it but it seemed most happy then.

Look forward to an answer if someone has one

I bought a goji berry plant (unsure of the species; I believe there is two species in Lycium genus, from local markets les than a year ago.

It has grown well after planting it the ground, receiving filtered to full sun most of the day.

It flowered a bit in the last few weeks but I don't think they were pollinated.

So basically I have no tips and am pretty much in the same boat as you :rolleyes:

i've had them grow well, i planted seeds from imported berries and dug up plants i found growing in an abandoned lot

however the pollination and fruit set has always been poor, they do however thrive on neglect and require almost no care.

Just planted a Lycium barbarum plant two weeks ago...its still alive. :lol: bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

I think L. chinense needs good moisture in the soil, I had to separate mine from my L. barbarums and thus put them in poor dry soil in very strong sun, several years on and ones still small and looses its leaves, the other died. I got rid of my barbarums and so now I'll move the L. chinense to a slightly moister spot with afternoon shade, within 5 months I should know the results of the move.

I found a wild Lycium in moist soil when I was hunting medicines here (USA, SE Wash.), big and healthy, clearly tolerating intense sun, and more upright in form than my former barbarums. I'm eager to find out what species it is.. if I can sort it from the other 89 species lol.

...I just hope chinense or mystery Lycium tastes better than barbarum lol, first berries I ever ate that tasted like oxalate :blink:

i think it's best to plant them out into the garden, if you try to grow them in containers, it's much harder to get them going.

they survive the german climat for a couple of years, till a very, very cold winter arrives and than you need to replant.

I've grown some from the FSR seed. They live in a smallish container in a sunny spot - don't let it dry out. They're not very big, but I did get two berries this year!

Thanks for the info so far, Had a look at it this morning and it seems to be starting another round of branching. Will try some hand pollination next time I see flowers. Might start some cuttings and put them in a few places to see what happens.

Also found these PFAF Lycium chinense

Daves Garden Lycium chinense

Most of the info indicates moist, well drained soil of any type, full sun to dappled shade, pH tolerant (possibly sensitive to acidic soil), wind hardy, suitable for coastal situations (possibly saline), poor soil, frost tolerant, bee pollinated.

Main agricultural regions in China are the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (also produces grapes, melons, pears, cotton, wheat and walnuts) and Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region (Goji is the major produce).

Xinjiang

Ningxia

Namaste

FCL

Why is that? I know the root is hypotensive via vasodilation but are you saying the berries are too? :scratchhead:

I never noticed any adverse symptoms from moderate amounts, no weakness and dizziness etc, but last time I ate them my BP averaged 125/65

You got my interest because I currently have my BP down to an average of 98/60 with frequent dips to near 90/55 :lol: (no symptoms of hypotension tho)

Definately hypotensive. Im very sensitive to hypotensives and twenty of these put me in spaced out la la land for four hours.

Felt more tired than usual on that BP?

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

Interesting. If I manage to rescue my last L. chinense I'll be sure to pay attention for hypotensive effect.

Felt more tired than usual on that BP?

Not in the slightest, actually less tired really but thats probably due to the overall lifestyle change I got goin on.

It did surprise me a bit when, while feeling more healthy and strong, I started getting BP readings like 92/56 :lol:

The definition of hypotension includes the caveat that overt pathological symptoms must be present. And I'm still just at the very low end of normal range anyway. So I guess alls good... and I have cured the sclerosis in my veins, so I'm gonna keep on keepin' on unless my BP hits 75/45 :P