The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Ladakhi plant ID request

Question

Found this species in Ladakh last year. I thought it looked pretty interesting, so took a few photos. It was the only one of its kind I found. The seeds are like large, flat poppy seeds. Any idea what it is?

5660193458_23e928563d_b.jpg

5659623423_d691ef2ab2_b.jpg

5660194432_f7a0595809_b.jpg

5659624333_9fa87e01c7_z.jpg

8 answers to this question

No ideas?

No Idea, Tripsis. But it looks very cool. Almost like a Nightshade. Your growing em atm? I´d love to see pics from time to time. bye Eg

No, haven't sown seed and don't plan to unless I know what it is. Too many plants to just grow total randoms.

i have seen very similar flower/seed pods, but i can't re call any names.

i never forget the shape and habitus of a plant or any thing, but to learn a name takes me many many repetions.

interressting, right and left side brain action causes that.

i would not be surprised if this plant has some relatives in the extanded family, which are a semi popular in cold climat gardening.

a professional horticulturis, would right away, be able to guess, the family it comes from.

i guess the flower color could be blue,

maybe it's from this family gentianaceae:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/50633/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentiana_acaulis

actualy, i worked myselfe quite up now, and would not be surprised if it's a himalayan gentianaceae.

himalayan gentian:

Himalayan Gentian

i can't spell, but gee i must be good remebering shapes.

i think there is a chance it's the one above. :uzi:B)

and just so you know, i did not know till seconds agao that a himalayan gentian excists, it was all just a vibe or huntch, i felt, hehehe.

Edited by planthelper

Interesting suggestion. The only experience I have with gentians is with the plants from NZ I found at the start of the year. They didn't resemble the plant in this thread at all and had much softer foliage. The foliage of the plant in this thread was more like that of typical xerophytes, which is not surprising at it was found in a desert. Doesn't rule it out from being a gentian though.

It definitely isn't that Himalayan gentian, as the leaves and overall morphology are totally different. Are those trumpet shaped seed capsules typical of gentians?

Interesting suggestion. The only experience I have with gentians is with the plants from NZ I found at the start of the year. They didn't resemble the plant in this thread at all and had much softer foliage. The foliage of the plant in this thread was more like that of typical xerophytes, which is not surprising at it was found in a desert. Doesn't rule it out from being a gentian though.

It definitely isn't that Himalayan gentian, as the leaves and overall morphology are totally different. Are those trumpet shaped seed capsules typical of gentians?

i googled for quite a while and could not find the answere if the seeds are produced that way with gentians, but some sites, seemed to suggest this way.

but they aswell stated that gentian seeds are very small, and your's are not.

but i have seen plants like your pic shows, with seeds inside the small trumpet, but i don't remeber the name.

probably not gentian than, but i still find it amazing that gentians grow in mountain regions all over the world (i never knew that) and some of those mountains are home to ephedras aswell (austria, enzian & meertrauebel, south american gentian & ephedra, and obviously ephedras and gentians are native aswell to the himalayan area)!!!!

Edited by planthelper

Judging by the size of the gentians I saw in NZ, I would expect the seeds to be quite tiny. I wonder if there are xerophytic gentian species, or if they always grow in quite moist areas like the ones in NZ?

The plant I found reminds me of something too, but I can't put my finger on what.

Thanks for the suggestions PH. :)