The Corroboree
omsource

PP takeaway container

I've just started using the take away PP containers for my petri dishes as they're

re-usable as well as recyclable in the end.

I couldn't stand the amount of waste i was making throwing out the PS dishes!

I've been noticing MUCH slower growth on the dishes compared to the PS petris.

Do the people that use them snap the lids on fully or leave them to vent?

any help would be muchly appreciated :)

Thanks a bunch

OmSource

Snap them on fully. I've found no issues using them as yet. How have you been using them?

Edited by tripsis

Snapping them on fully,

just seems like they don't colonise the plate half as quick.

I've got some cultures you sent through that I did half on the PS and

half on the take aways and theres a huge difference in time.

Still the re-usability and the fact that I'm not mowing through the cling wrap is good!

Interesting...never noticed a difference myself. I know someone in Melbourne who modifies his by cutting the edge of the container part so that the lid just sits on loosely.

Interesting...never noticed a difference myself. I know someone in Melbourne who modifies his by cutting the edge of the container part so that the lid just sits on loosely.

Another Idea: perhaps get a soldering iron burn a tiny hole then cover with micropore tape. This would offer better air exchange I assume.

So when using the PP container, do you guys sterilise them empty/separately and then pour the agar in still air box?! I thought I would safe the pouring-step and sterilised the agar filled containers...however after cooling down I now find relatively large amounts of condensed water inside on the container-walls, which is surely not ideal.

Any hints welcome :rolleyes:

cheers satyr

Sterilise first, then pour, or as you have found, you'll end up with excessive condensation in them.

Great point Tripsis!

I've tried the "pour then sterilise" method and I've found that it creates way too much condensation, but also the cultures tend to contaminate on the outside lip, as the agar seeps out while sterilising.

Just had that realisation this morning.

How do you guys run a larger batch of empty PP take away containers?

Do you seal them all individually and then PC them, or do the lids and the bottoms separately, or even leave the lids half on so that

steam can penetrate into the containers?

I quite liked your idea Tripsis where you did a large batch, poured them, sealed them and then had a stack for transfers whenever you needed them!

Whats the process?

OmSource

double post sorry

OmSource

Edited by omsource

ahh triple post,

double sorry on the triple post :blush:

OmSource

Edited by omsource

I sterilise them with the lids snapped on fully, then stack with in the PC and sterilise for half an hour (more or less depending on which PC I use as they have markedly different p.s.i. ratings). Steam still penetrates into the interior as they are not airtight (I don't bother with foil anymore). If there's room, I'll put the agar that I want to pour in with them, or do it separately. Then transfer the lot to a glovebox (or flowhood if you have one) and pour as you usually would.