The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
synchromesh

First commercial jetpack is 'just months away'

sdfsdfsdf

Edited by Teljkon

It's still a pretty good upgrade for what it was in 2008...

After completing a gruelling seven-minute outside test flight, the longest ever by a jetpack, the world’s first commercial rocketman suit could be just months from hitting the shelves.

Reaching death-defying altitudes of more than 100ft, the Martin Jetpack's flight last week brought 40 years of development near to a conclusion and the dreams of millions achingly close to reality.

At its unveiling at a U.S. airshow in 2008, the aircraft did not go higher than 6ft - an arm's reach from a watchful ground crew - or fly for longer than 45 seconds.

I'm sure that in the 1981 Newtown v Parramatta rugby league grand final there was a guy who used one to fly into the stadium. Then again, I was so young, it could have all been smoke and mirrors. Anyone else remember this?

was it is the same tech, or was the older pack you saw the hydrogen-peroxide one that used silver mesh?

sort of a chemical rocket pack... not very feasible for commercial application

The theory may be old but there hasn't really been a practical working option. This looks really promising. That thing would need some serious fail safes to stop it spiraling people to their death.

I find the fact they have pretty much fit two small airplane props into a backpack unit awesome. And now they have a working solid base to build off the technology will explode and move forward at incredible rates. Can't wait to see future developments.

was it is the same tech, or was the older pack you saw the hydrogen-peroxide one that used silver mesh?

sort of a chemical rocket pack... not very feasible for commercial application

My memory is understandably dim on the subject, it was 30 years ago, and I can't find any detail on the internet about it.