The Corroboree
vual

Nimbin Mardi Grass 2011

Are you going to mardi grass?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its that time of the year again, i have been 4 years in a row and must admit its a great, great time, i wait all year for this festival, one of my favorites.

Show your support, attend the hemp Olympics buy a t-shirt and march in the protest, every year they are getting closer and closer to the goal.

Info below:

MG_11g.jpg

Hope to see you there ;)

-Vual

MARDIGRASS 2011 APRIL 30 AND MAY 1 "BRING BACK RESPECT"

The MardiGrass Organising Body has met with Lismore Council and everything is on track officially for the 2011 annual weekend of cannabis law reform activities. The MOB meets every friday from 5pm at the Embassy (enter thru the HEMP Bar) and everyone is welcome.

We are always keen for new ideas and input and especially local volunteers.

We plan on being better organised with volunteers this year and we may even have 'Team Leaders', or perhaps, 'Top Buds'. Local knowledge is critical to guide the hordes of often non English speaking backpackers who want to help out and locals wanting to be part of this please register early at the Embassy. Same with Jungle Patrollers.

Recycling at least the cans must happen this year and we are looking for a club or non profit local group who will help take this on and get the profits.

We also want to hear from creative souls who want to do street theatre over the weekend. And remember the Happy High Herbs Float Awards are on again.

A Mardigrass Comedy Cabaret on Saturday night is planned for the Town Hall. We are hopeful Bob Dylan will judge the Buskers Comp but he is not confirmed. The Bluesfest and Easter is the weekend before Mardigrass this year so we expect quite a few people to attend both.

Pot Art entries can be brought into the HEMP Bar (if they fit!) and will be displayed in cafes around the village.

The Big Question? We inspected Peace Park, the Home of the Hemp Olympix, and expect no dramas fitting in with the new skatepark which should be well and truly finished by then. It looks like a MardiGrass Skatecomp will in fact become a new Hemp Olympix Gold Medal event though we havn't quite worked out the details! Is there a Nimbin Skaters Club? Please come to a MOB meeting!

The Peace Park Main Stage will be repositioned closer to Sibley Street we expect. So far the music line up is: OKA, Anarchist Duck, King Farook, CC The Cat, Nathan Kaye, elseWhere, Bertha Control, The 50 bags, Irie Knights, Pagan Love Cult, Kaptan Reefer, Nigel Mctrustry, A French Butler Called Smith, Fyah Walk, John dourvis, Johny Ganja and a few more to throw in the mix bowl..

MardiGrass 2011 has been inspired by Proposition 19 in California. Even though the vote was lost, cannabis law reform got a lot of attention and we will be doing our best this year to bring Australia up to date with what's happening in North America.

Dr Bob Melamede will be at MardiGrass again with new evidence on cannabis eradicating cancer and another director from Cannabis Science Inc.

Activists Alison Myrden, Lisa “Mamakind” Kirkman from Skunk Magazine and Englishman Frank Kirk are booked in as is Sandra Kanck, former leader of the Democrats in SA Parliament. Regular supporters Dr's Alex Wodak, Paul Wilson and Andrew Katelaris are all coming and we hope to have some local industrial hemp crops to play with and hear about now NSW farmers can plant hemp seed.

Tickets:

http://archives.hempembassy.net/hempe/hempshop/MardiGrass.html

MARDIGRASS 2011 ALL WEEKEND PASS AND CAMPSITE $100

$50 Weekend MardiGrass Golden Bud Pass gives entry to all events Friday, Saturday and Sunday

$50 per person for a Campsite with toilets and showers for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights

Extra nights camping $15 each

One Day MardiGrass Bush Pass for Sat or Sunday events $25

Links:

Mardi Grass 11

Program

http://australianhempparty.com/

Edited by vual

Ah man I keep missing this, too! I wanted to go this year so I could get more Dream Pillows from a certain herbal store up there.

you guys still have 2 weeks to plan it, well worth it imo.

I'll be flying back home from holidays on the sunday evening. Same reason I'll be missing another SAB camp :(

You have to pay to protest?

I don't understand the whole ticket part of the deal.

you can attend simply by entering the town. i'm guessing the majority of attendants don't pay?

the ticket gets you access to an area where they have bands performing and whatever, which you can easily hear and watch from outside of that area. when i went about 3 years ago anyway. are they still putting on doofs just out of town?

Have been attending for about 5 years now the 50 dollars per person is well worth it and goes to a good cause I figure. Nothing like the wicked saturday night doof either just a good time all round. Thinking I might even enter the hemp Olympic this year always watch the joint rolling contest wishing I had entered. Even going to make a banner for the march this year.

i've just been reading a bit of a discussion about doofs at mardi grass and i gather that last year there was some sort of culmination of violence and stuff and it looks as though nobody is dumb enough to try doing one this year.

i can understand that, nnsw is rife with stories of bad crowds at doofs and mardi grass doofs are big and apparently (believably) have some of the worst crowds. i didn't notice anything amiss though when i attended, maybe because i spent half the night walking back and forth along the epic dance floor / camping area mountain path. slept near the dance floor and nothing happened to me. although i do remember some clown climbing up on top of some installation/structure.

I'll be attending if only for the camping! I may go to the doof if it's on but I didn't last year and had a great time in town and at the campsite. Wasn't there a couple of unfortunate events at last years doof?

i wish i knew the details but yes, it seems as though putting on a mardi grass doof has turned into a very risky and ill-advised venture and it appears as though none have been planned, except maybe in secret.

For everybody who is going; you've gotta check out Oka... They are playing the Community Hall at 11pm on Saturday, and you'd be a fool to miss it! :wink:

weather looks like shit, but I'll be there... leaving right now........