The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

Aussie Chanterelle find?

post-3828-0-73183200-1301814691_thumb.jp

Sorry to break it up like that - internet problems. (i mean 1 photo each post).

I don think it is a Chanterelle collection as the gills end kind of abruptly but it looks more like a chanterelle than it does a false chanterelle or any other type of mushroom (including hygrocybe) ive encountered. Spore print to come.

post-3828-0-73183200-1301814691_thumb.jpg

post-3828-0-73183200-1301814691_thumb.jpg

They look a little strange. Do they have gills or ridges?

ridges but i get the feeling that perhaps their yellowness comes from hygrophanous fading and it might have been darker. Do Chanterelles fade hygrophanously?

Size and shape reminds me very much of Hygrocybe.. perhaps Hygrocybe cantharellus? This starts off redder and dries more yellow.

I think true Chantrelles have a uniform yellow and keep their colour through drying.

Edited by Undergrounder

Cool. Yeah I guessed the same but got my hopes up when I saw pics on the net. Ive never collected these before so its all new to me - i didnt even realise they were collected in Australia until recently.

Cool. Yeah I guessed the same but got my hopes up when I saw pics on the net. Ive never collected these before so its all new to me - i didnt even realise they were collected in Australia until recently.

Don't take my word for it, I've never found Chantrelles either, but if I saw those mushies on a bush track i'd call them Hygrocybes..

I'll keep my eyes out for true Chantelles from now on..

The ridges should also be subdecurrent or decurrent on chanterelles. I'm not sure how chanterelles dry, I've only found them a few times in India and didn't note whether they were hygrophanous or not. Looking at my pictures they seem like they might have been, but it's hard to say.