The Corroboree
santiago

Quick POLL

HE / SHE / IT  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm thinking of setting up some sort of "To catch a predator" thing for those who still think I'm an Asian girl, hahaha, ethno style, the reveal will involve a lot of Datura/Brugmansia... :)

• Like 2

The Ruler of Peru.

And so a delicacy must be served to her

guests.

http://www.gonzotourism.com/countries/machu-picchu-the-lost-%E2%80%98city%E2%80%99-of-the-incas-and-guinea-pigs/

Machu Picchu, the Lost ‘City’ of the Incas (and guinea pigs)

http://www.machupicchu-inca.com/inca-food.html

Guinea Pig - Delicious AND Medicinal

http://moreintelligentlife.com/story/how-to-eat-a-guinea-pig

[[inspired by the memories of her childhood pets Fluffy and Mickey, Lynn Levin travels to Peru in the hope of eating a small furry dish so repellent that she can brag about it for the rest of her life. Unfortunately, she succeeds ..]]

or

when in mexico the aztec way.

That’s No Mutant – It’s an Axolotl!

http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2010/02/cute-endangered-animal-axolotl-salamande

from the introduction of invasive species like carp and tilapia that eat Axolotl and their offspring. Roasted Axolotl is also considered a delicacy in Mexico, something which can't possibly help the species's survival in the wild. The Axolotl's ability to regenerate many parts of its body has made it an experiment subject in medical labs. For example, the Department of Defense recently issued a $6.25 million grant for scientists to study the Axolotl's limb regeneration in hopes it will lead to medical advances for humans.

http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptile-blog/russ-case/axolotl.aspx

The axolotl (pronounced axe-oh-lot-ul) is a neotenic Mexican tiger salamander (Ambystoma mexicanum). “Neotenic” means the salamander did not progress beyond its larval stage. All salamanders and newts start out as embryos in gelatinous eggs, much like frogs, before emerging and progressing through a larval stage. And lucky for you, we have an illustration of the whole process, using the fire-bellied newt as an example, right here. Axolotls, however, don’t progress beyond the larval stage. They enter it and stay put. I suppose they could be considered a prime example of an arrested adolescent.

Because they remain “forever young,” axolotls retain the larval characteristics common in developing salamanders and newts, including the external gills and fins along the tail. The gills are definitely their most striking feature. Axolotls do have rudimentary lungs, but they obtain oxygen through the use of their gills, siphoning it from the water the same way fish do.

Years ago, a childhood friend of mine went to the Colorado River on vacation, and when he returned home he brought me a present. Knowing my fondness for all things herp, he presented me with a bizarre-looking creature. It looked like a big, fat salamander with freaky feathery appendages sticking out from both sides of its head. Apparently, these things were being sold in bait shops on the river at a dirt-cheap price. He called it a “waterdog.” It sounds a lot like an axolotl, doesn’t it? Yet, it was probably a larval-stage tiger salamander, which looks a lot like an axolotl.

Where does “waterdog” come in? According to the website www.axolotl.org, the word is a commonly accepted translation from the Aztec words “atl” (water) and xolotl (dog). Interestingly, according to the same website, Xolotl is also the Aztec god of deformations and death (see photo).

Axolotls may not be encountered as commonly as other herps, but they do have their fan base. If your local reptile store doesn’t have any, try looking in a tropical fish store, where they can sometimes be found due to their completely aquatic nature. Wild axolotls are considered endangered, but because axolotls are used often for medical research, they are bred in captivity regularly. They are used for medical research because of their ability to regenerate lost limbs. Other salamanders can do this, but axolotls are apparently very good at it! Read a short article about some recent medical research that is utilizing axolotls here.

Keeping pet axolotls isn’t particularly difficult. They don’t need a land area, just water. Use a filter to keep their water clean, unless you’re really into frequent complete water changes, because axolotls are pretty messy. Even with a filter, water changes will be necessary, both partial and occasional complete changes. Filter media will nee

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a food I think it was a soup not Roasted Axolotl unless 6 inches.

But very easy to raise,

just eats earthworms.

Edited by devance