The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

suspected Souh African acacia

Question

the ones u see giraffes eating. wat u guys think?

th_841510788_randomiphone246_122_492lo.jpg th_841548606_randomiphone244_122_99lo.jpg th_841582253_randomiphone245_122_164lo.jpg

14 answers to this question

Looks quite similar to some I saw in Kenya (although clearly not the same).

567800x600.jpg

566800x600.jpg

yeah, they got some fuck off big spines

thats wat makes me think it's South African, I do not know of any aussie acacia's with nasty ass spines like that.

Well, strictly speaking, Kenya is in east Africa. :P

Anyway, I agree it does look African. I've never seen an Australian Acacia species with thorns like that either. Where'd you find it?

Wow those spikes are freaking huge!!

Edited by Eluna

I tried to click on your pic naja naja in order to take a closer look at your interesting plant, but it took me to some *live hot sex with Jasmine* webpage

:unsure:

Don't have much time atm, off top of head maybe look into Acacia karroo.

and meeka they are just the benefits of naja's picture postings ;)

Edited by gerbil

Found it growing at a mates house, he planted them, but he wasn't aware of wat they were.

I'm glad some1 gets my jokes Gerbil. I think it's classic, u state it's suitable for family viewing, then they pop that shit up on ya. :P

Only had a chance for a brief look in some books, might not be karroo as the spines are different from info atm.

The planting thing intrigued me too, am pretty sure the karroo thorn , camel thorn etc. Acacia are on the eradication list in most states if not all?

Where abouts did this fella source his material? Local wild seed collections, nursery?

Tripsis your ones possibly are Acacia drepanolobium.

Thanks gerbil, it does look very much like Acacia drepanolobium. Found in the right part of the continent too.

Aparently they were purchaced as live plants from a nursery.

looks like a young Gleditsia triacanthos to me... otherwise known as honey locust.. i think they're native to north America..

tripsis your kenyan acacia is symbiotic with a species of ant... the ants live in that bulbous growth & eat nectar the acacia excretes & in return they attack anything that tries to eat it.. no one has mentioned that... so.. yep :)

Edited by paradox

Yeah, I was reading that on Wiki earlier. It was found in one of the two national parks where walking without a guide is permitted. If we visited every park and reserve where that was the case (only two parks and two reserves at the time, although that may have changed), as we couldn't bring ourselves to pay the extortionate amounts being asked for safaris.

tripsis your kenyan acacia is symbiotic with a species of ant... the ants live in that bulbous growth & eat nectar the acacia excretes & in return they attack anything that tries to eat it.. no one has mentioned that... so.. yep :)

even the elephant which is said to have no predators, has to submitt to the attack of the ants, i like that.

some people think that eating dmt plants gave the giraffe the abilety to alter her bone structure.

maybe alkaloids are a secret in how species are formed?