The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
NSF

Very inner Melb Agaricus Xanthodermus

Question

So riding home tonight I saw a bunch of big shrooms under some gum trees in mulch between Fed Square and Melbourne Park in very inner Melbourne.

I figure they are xanthodermus...primarily due to the boxy shape, but they are more brown than I've seen. They also didn't seem to have any yellow stain, even the younger ones which were still damp. They didn't have a particularly 'mushroom' earthy tasty smell, but it wasn't phenolic either. The veil looks quite xanthodermus though. I brought home the one with the closed veil and I'm making a spore print, but I guess it's a couple of days away.

So maybe my first guess was wrong...any further hints?

http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i434/NotSoFro/Fungi%20to%20Share/

15 answers to this question

So riding home tonight I saw a bunch of big shrooms under some gum trees in mulch between Fed Square and Melbourne Park in very inner Melbourne.

I figure they are xanthodermus...primarily due to the boxy shape, but they are more brown than I've seen. They also didn't seem to have any yellow stain, even the younger ones which were still damp. They didn't have a particularly 'mushroom' earthy tasty smell, but it wasn't phenolic either. The veil looks quite xanthodermus though. I brought home the one with the closed veil and I'm making a spore print, but I guess it's a couple of days away.

So maybe my first guess was wrong...any further hints?

http://s1093.photobu...i%20to%20Share/

So you write morel in the title and you get 8 replies in a 24 hour period, you write xanthodermus and you get none?! (I wish I knew the unicode for interrobang) I've since convinced myself that the shroom is in fact Agaricus Augustus. I just hope i'm correct.

So you write morel in the title and you get 8 replies in a 24 hour period, you write xanthodermus and you get none?! (I wish I knew the unicode for interrobang) I've since convinced myself that the shroom is in fact Agaricus Augustus. I just hope i'm correct.

did i hear morel????

nah just kidding, I've found some yellow stainers and the young specimens have pink gills and that smell is a dead give away. I'm not sure if it's augustus but it's not yellow stainer.

did i hear morel????

nah just kidding, I've found some yellow stainers and the young specimens have pink gills and that smell is a dead give away. I'm not sure if it's augustus but it's not yellow stainer.

did i hear morel????

did i hear morel????

did i hear morel????

did i hear morel????

did i hear morel????

did i hear morel????

did i hear morel????

did i hear morel????

did i hear morel????

did i hear morel????

holy hell!

i've heard of double posts... but wow

looks yummy

did i hear morel????

Hahahah very funny x 8 Cody, definitely feeling the love.