The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spunwhirllin

passionflower

As i exited the local garden store i noticed that a fruit from a passionflower craeula(sp.)had hopped into my pocket,hitching a ride i guess.

Anyway,the fruit is still green and i wonder when the seeds will be ready to sow?

thanks much.

geez spun thats realy not a nice thing to do, then again a small piece of trichocereus bridgesii f. monstrose hitched a ride with me just a day or two ago so i guess i aint one to talk

just leave the passionfruit on a window ledge in the sun till it ripens, although i am not sure whether the seed will be viable. PH may be able to shed some light on the subject

LOl

the last laugh may bo with the garden store :)

P caerulea is a vigorously suckering weedy vine :)

keep it in a pot or somewhere containable

If weedinessis ok in your garden then maybe get P incarnata instead. that at least has some known value

if u cant find it check back with me in spring as i have a few young ones thatll spring bac then

(its deciduous)

heh heh how "wrong" is it... its just going to ripen and die in shop

i have been wanting to do this with cumquat trees for a long time

they are outrageously priced!! for a tree about 1m your lookin at 100bucks or so!

and they just sit there dropping their fruit and it rotting :rolleyes:

heh heh

i have liberated a few chillis from the bot gardens and put them to good use

back on topic tho i thought those plants were cheap as cheaps anyways?

yea,the plant was $20 u.s. for a four footer.

but why pay for one when the seeds offer the potential for several plants for free and also the possiblity of sharing with a few others.

i'll just give em a go.

thanks.

seed offer the potential, but as far as my learnings at TAFE have been going most comercialially available Passiflora species are grafted onto more managable rootstocks due to, as Rev noted, their nasty suckering habits... I'll have a look through my notes, find out what species is an acceptable understock... just for curiositys sake.

cheers,

BL

If it is grafted onto another rootstock, what plants would the seeds be coming from?

The lower half, or the top half?

Its almost always said that if you graft one plant to another the seeds produced will not be a mix of the two, but pure seeds from the genetic makeup of the branch the fruit grew on... if you graft a peach branch onto a apple tree the seeds from the peaches will produce normal peach trees. Most text books say this is a absolute rule, a statement that is false (graft induced variants have been acheived in multiple genuses of plant life) but it is a good rule of thumb.

Just my guess, but I'd say that the fruit won't mature much once off the vine. If it's heavy and full of pulp, you may be good to go. If somewhat light and puffy, it's been picked too soon.

P. incarnata is native or naturalized here, though not prevalent, and needs quite a while from pod formation til maturity.

heya gusto,

the fruit is heavy,and had fallen off on its own accord i believe,though it is green.

any extra seed of any species out there?

I'm in the u.s. ,if there are any locals that have some to spare,i'll make it worth your while.

thanks.

there are many beautiful passsion flower spp out there - beware that some are toxic!