The Corroboree
tripsis

Variegated pyscho0 x pachanoi?

Would people considered this psycho0 x pach to be variegated, or the discolouration simply caused by something else? The larger patches are somewhat sunken.

DSC06775800x600.jpg

Has it been moved recently? i have gotten a few spots which look similar after rotating and or moving plants which changed the amount of light received by parts of the cactus.

No, but there was heat wave here recently, which I though might have had something to do with it. But if it were sunburn, I would have expected to the tips to burn, not random patches on the sides.

I see that on many of my plants. I believe it is caused by sucking insects as generally the patches of discolouration are slightly depressed in places, more often than not in the centre of the discolouration also a lot of the marks are circular. Ill get a few pictures next time i head out to the farm as some of it is in rather large patches on one plant in particular. I guess it could be unscrupulously sold off as variegated on ebay or the like if your so inclined lol :P

Ill have a look through my photos and see if i can find any examples.

I think I have seen it and if it's sunken I don't think its a variagation, but I hope I am wrong!!!

Cool plant. Do you know what kind of pach was the parent?

I didn't think it was variegation either, but wanted other opinions. The fact the patches are sunken seems like a good indication that something else is the cause.

PD would know what sort of pach was the parent.

I get that on one of my indoor epiphyllums about a month before it flowers. the thing looks completely razzed now, but it still puts out huge red flowers. It has four right now.

I have looked hard for insects on the stems, but I never find anything. I'm still wondering if there is more than one cause for this sort of phenomenon. :scratchhead:

Here are a few examples. Could get lots more pictures from the farm with somewhat larger patches of discolouration on the cactuses like i mentioned but i think you get the idea. :)

post-1464-0-97348900-1297674722_thumb.jppost-1464-0-36224000-1297674727_thumb.jp

post-1464-0-71426800-1297674729_thumb.jppost-1464-0-52762000-1297674732_thumb.jp

post-1464-0-53644600-1297674735_thumb.jp

PD would know what sort of pach was the parent.

PC.

DSCN0917.JPG

DSCN1642.JPG

SAM_0105-1.JPG

SAM_0192-1.JPG

SAM_0195-1.JPG

DSCN0917.JPG

DSCN1642.JPG

SAM_0105-1.JPG

SAM_0192-1.JPG

SAM_0195-1.JPG

viruses, likely from insect origin including sucking on the roots, localized after trans-location

not uncommon, some plants/specimens seem far more prone than others

my best guess

Have had this happen to a few of my plants and It's always appeared after a fairly hot day so my guess is sunburn

viruses... localized after trans-location

not uncommon

Man, the cactus version of facial herpes. That'd be embarrassing at cactus parties

dancingcactusavatar.gif

Any rumors yet about entheogenic potency range for these hybrids?

I've heard 1st hand rumors of hybrids being quite active, and interestingly enough no complaints of hybrids lacking activity, ironically complaints about a lack of activity are far more likely to circulate than the opposite situtation

but look at it from the POV of reported chemistry in the scientific literature, nearly all active plants tested in the San Pedro complex, be they peruvianus, bridgesii, or pachanoi,(or intermediates) have been demonstrated (at least once) to have mescaline as the dominant alkaloid and then to have 3,4DMPEA and 3-meo-tyramine ranging from 1-10% of the total alkaloid, meaning that they can be expected to have up to 20% of the DMPEA and the 3meotyramine, and 80% mescaline, with over 50mg of total alkaloid for 100g fresh, in some cases 1000g of plant material can have around 2g total alkaloid, fresh weight making them 0.2%, many reports of 0.1% fresh also exist, so one could expect 0.1-0.2% to be the standard range for the complex as reported by published scientific analysis,(that would be in the area of 1-2% dry).

there is no reason to believe that hybrids between plants with such similar chemistry would deviate from their parents

Edited by Archaea

Well yeah those are good points but I didnt actually mean hybrid theory in general, I was referring specifically to the PC X Psycho0 and Psycho0 X PC hybrids going around. And I dont know if its all that accurate to say PC has chemistry so similar to bridgesii, and essentially nothing is ever made public about properties of hybrids of PC with more traditional san pedros.

Just kind of curious if those particular critters are being remarked upon as generally closer to one parent in potency or just typical variation for the two species (E. lageniformis for Psycho0, and E. pachanoi.. or 'E. pachanoides' if you like (love that name :lol: ) for the PC). My interest originating from the fact that I am literally growing ca. 1000 of the PC X Psycho0 cacti and breeding them for cold hardiness, I already selected the first group of 451 plants down to the 12 most cold tolerant, next 600 or so get done later this year :)

Edited by Auxin

heatwave effected seed grown scop

DSCN0923.jpg

Hmmmmm

I have had this or something that looks like this in pachanoi kk339 and a lot on myrtilocactus and myrtilocactus monstrosa breast plant.

Indeed this looks like as the plant was exposed in too much light for a day or two , but after some time of noticing, I am sure it's not this [light] in my occasions. Virus or whatever transmitted with sucking insects like Archaea said sounds like more probably IME.

Blowng,if your scop was indeed scorched my light, it would be probably also scorched at the top, even worse.