The Corroboree
hutch

Name this plant...

Question

Could anyone here put a name to this plant for me?

Notsure2.jpg?t=1296674792

8 answers to this question

Psychotria Alba?? just a punt.

Edited by mr b.caapi

Alba or carth would be my guess. I've not yet found a single person that can tell them apart definitively.

some people even think alba and carth are synonymous.

i go for alba aswell, i saw other alba plants online which display the same curled (waved) leafedges.

maybe alba can be told apart from carth when they are in flower.

Thank you very much....I suspected it was an alba.....I have two potted specimens I come across that are now thriving and I am considering planting one in mother earth......under a canopy of trees...bit concerned about feral animals but...

some people even think alba and carth are synonymous.

i go for alba aswell, i saw other alba plants online which display the same curled (waved) leafedges.

maybe alba can be told apart from carth when they are in flower.

I couldn't notice any difference when in flower, but I'm no botanist, so maybe if I were to focus on just one point of difference in the flower?

I've heard the waviness can be used too, but carth also displays this depending on the growth conditions, as you know.

Side by side I can see no difference whatsoever, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are one and the same.

Edit: Maybe Torsten can chime in, as he has grown and sold both?

Edited by Alice

we got our alba and carth from reputable sources overseas. however, we can't tell them apart. we keep them apart as even if they are the same species, they are definitely from very different populations and regions, so the distinction may help at a later point to keep them apart. I have sent pics and samples to many collectors and botanists and all have either claimed both to be carth or both to be alba. We've tried, but can't get any further with this.

edit: just found that on tropicos database carthagenensis is given as a synonym for alba, along with many other synonyms. I'll do a bit more digging into the taxonomy now.

Irie,

Torsten, would you have any photo of each of your separate species?

I've been banging my head against the wall on this one for a while now :BANGHEAD2:

Trying to catalog the various psychotria's + flowers,(on another forum).

My opinion is constantly changing??? :wacko:

My most recent observations lead me to believe that this may not be alba, as the leaves I have seen are broader in the mid section & have a distinctive taper at the leaf base.

Hutch, It maybe good news for you?

BTW all my psychotria's have wavy leaves.

Respect

Z

go to the tropicos database and you'll see that there is a huge variation in morphology for both species. it also shows that carthaginensis is not an accepted species, but that it is actually part of alba.

I got my first carthaginensis from a very experienced ethnobotanist [who is also a taxonomist], so I am pretty confident with that ID. My second carth came from otj. My alba is from stoney. I can't tell any of the three apart. in fact, there seems to be more variation between seedlings than between 'species'.