The Corroboree
bℓσωηG

Acidifying cactus soil?

Hey,

I have some Gymnocalyciums that refuse to grow... i have read that they need an acid soil medium to be healthy.

What is the best way to lower the ph level, to create this?

You could whizz on it? Otherwise fe sulphates should be ok? Just from the top of my head...

The best way to go would be iron sulphate because it dissolves easily a watering can and then goes through the soil, takes a couple of days to see an effect. About $9 at cunnings hardware.

Sulfur on the other hand needs to be dug in and takes about 3 months depending on temperature and how much life is in the soil.

The best way to go would be iron sulphate because it dissolves easily a watering can and then goes through the soil, takes a couple of days to see an effect. About $9 at cunnings hardware.

Sulfur on the other hand needs to be dug in and takes about 3 months depending on temperature and how much life is in the soil.

ahh... yeah i didn't really want to re-pot them, so a soluble application via watering would be good, thanks for advice guys

i make coffee with ground coffee....the used grounds can be used to acidify soil.

t s t .

typically sulfur should be mixed into the soil, but most can be dissolved into hot water to be watered in as needed. this kind has worked for me in the past via fertigation

http://www.groworganic.com/tiger-90-soil-sulfur-50-lbs.html

adding ph buffers like this isn't the best way to go, better to repot them into pre-tested soil,(ph tested beforehand)

when mixing new soil,consider acid lover nutrients, like rose or azalea food

Would just a couple drops of vinegar work as well?

no, better off with citric acid than acetic for this application( neither is a good choice for cacti imo)

If you live in a mediterranean climate the water will undo any acidification quickly.

A reverse osmosis water filter will help.

About 10% peat and 10% bauxite in the soil mix will give you some long term acidic buffering.

If you wash your hands with soap in the sink and a thick rim of scum forms around the top

of the water you have alkaline water.

The easiest but not necessarily cheapest alternative is the demineralised water from the supermarket for use in

irons.

You could try careful, almost constant use of the iron sulfate in low dose.

Iron is a natural component of acidic soils up to 15% iron oxide content and it will buffer against

alkalinity.