The Corroboree
mutant

Trichocereus cuzcoensis

Question

I had to start such a thread, lol!

I am not saying anything else for now, I have been told that these are cuzcoids:

P1010424.jpg

P1010423.jpg

P1010422.jpg

• Like 2

To me the cactus in the first posts looks alot like the Trichocereus around Cusco, Peru.

Thats a difference of language. In spanish and portugese 's' can make more of an english 'z' sound, thats why in spanish they can spell it 'cusco' and in portugese brazil is 'brasil'. In english its proper to spell both with z's so people dont mispronounce the words too much. I could see the temptation to spell brazil as brasil because the brazilians do but you could follow that to the obvious end and soon youd be spelling yemen like الجمهورية اليمنية and people would be all like :huh:

Thanks for clearing that up Auxin. I just like using "Cusco" because that is probably how the people that live there would spell it since the street signs in Peru say "Cusco".

Thanks for clearing that up Auxin. I just like using "Cusco" because that is probably how the people that live there would spell it since the street signs in Peru say "Cusco".

687fea91677be9103defb8dc0b97e8b7.gif

Edited by mr b.caapi
  • Like 1

In fact... if you make the trek up to the Pisac ruins you can see this cactus on the way back down to town just on the other side of the small bridge. There is also many Nicotiana (tomentosa?) plants on the side of the path in this area, along with Salvia and Passiflora species.

• Like 1

lol teotz,

i think there would be more demand for these photos on ethno forums like this than from your facebook friends/family, no?

PMd you over at the nook and got no reply :(

just saw the pic of the cuzco, would really appreciate any close ups you have of these plants. whats wrong with uploading here?

Edited by centipede

i think there would be more demand for these photos on ethno forums like this than from your facebook friends/family, no?

Nobody on facebook threatens me and if they do I drive to their house and kick their ass cause I know where they live.

I'd love to reply to your PM but I'm banned at the nook man! PM me here!

just saw the pic of the cuzco, would really appreciate any close ups you have of these plants. whats wrong with uploading here?

I'm not sure I have one.... I didn't take as many pics as I should have!

BTW how to I edit somebody's face out of a photo and then upload it?

Edited by Teotzlcoatl
  • Like 1

in regards to the photo editing.. use paint or gimp or photoshop and paint over the top? or crop if possible

I knew I should have posted this first thing this morning before the kids got out of bed :rolleyes:

This I believe is a Knuthianus witch to my untrained eyes is different to the cuzco/cusco or whatever we are calling it today

post-4489-0-08222700-1295419197_thumb.jp

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-08222700-1295419197_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-08222700-1295419197_thumb.jpg

Certainly looks different to me!

• Like 2

i really like that little dude GoT :)

yeah, thats more like it teotz, can you remember what colour the brug flowers were?

what a fatty pedro

The Brugmansia flowers were white/off-white/beige. That IS an awesome "San Pedro" huh? It wasn't the PC cultivar neither, that's for damn sure!

Here is the pic- http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=3527

Y'all thought I made it all up didn't ya? ;)

Edited by Teotzlcoatl
  • Like 1

GOT >> yeah, I had in mind something like that as 'knuthianus', beautiful plant! Is this the ozzie variety you meant Michael? If so, please show us a knuthianus = cuzco

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

You can think whatever you want man. I don't give a rat's ass. It was an amazing trip.

Here's the ruins above Pisac- http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=3528

;)

Edited by Teotzlcoatl
  • Like 1

I knew I should have posted this first thing this morning before the kids got out of bed :rolleyes:

This I believe is a Knuthianus witch to my untrained eyes is different to the cuzco/cusco or whatever we are calling it today

Cheers

Got

Different than others yes, but like I said above, I'm a clumper not a splitter.

mutant, my SS knuthianus froze on me and died and I don't have any pictures up at my flickr account so I will have to go through some old photos and see if I have any.

~Michael~

Cheers

Got

Yep, it is the "aussie knuthianus". Has been a couple of threads in regards to this plant and cuzco/its relationship to.

I will keep it tagged as Knuthianus but then my cuzco looks nothing like the pics above maybe it age or growing conditions

It is one of my favourites in my collection and I am hanging to get it in the ground so it can grow to its full potential

Cheers

Got

I'd definitely keep the "knuthianus" tag on it. I understand what you mean by it not looking much like your T. cuzcoensis, but what we're trying to point out is that T. cuzcoensis is not just a bunch of plants that look the same, but is a broad group of plants that bear similar, though not identical, features...sort of like dogs I guess. Just because they all don't look the same doesn't mean they aren't the same species. I might even take this a step further and say that within the species there are groupings, just like in dogs we have the breed of Terriers, with these being similar, but not quite the same. So the "knuthianus" could be just a variation within the breed of a species. I know this is a great simplification, but I'm just trying to make a general point.

Here's my "SS03" from Sacred Succulents which looks a ton like the Australisn T. knuthianus, but which seems to go even a tad further towards the common T. cuzcoensis look.

1391279255_c583840d69_o.jpg

Well I hope that helps...

~Michael~

• Like 2

Ok, found a photo of the Sacred Succulents T. knuthianus I got from Osprey, but which didn't take a winter too well and had passed away some years ago. Very much like T. cuzcoensis.

post-19-0-25928900-1295620941_thumb.jpg

~Michael~

• Like 2

Thanks Michael your SS03 is a stunning plant.

I think the variations in trich's wether they are a bridge, pach, peruvian. cozco or macro and the hybrids are what makes collecting cacti so interesting. In this thread alone there is a number of beautiful cacti that all look like cozco but all with their own subtle or not so subtle differences.

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

i've been sold this as a cuzco in new zealand and the seller told me that what makes it a cuzco is the pairs of downwards pointing spines...

is this totally wrong?

cuzco

they same dude sold me this as a bridgesii, but it looks more like what you're saying a cuzco is...?

bridge

Edited by 2meke

Nice photos 2meke, first one i wouldn't call a cuzco,looks like what we call yowie only bluer! which is a pach, but your bridge looks definitely cuzco-ish :wacko:

i've been sold this as a cuzco in new zealand and the seller told me that what makes it a cuzco is the pairs of downwards pointing spines...

is this totally wrong?

cuzco

they same dude sold me this as a bridgesii, but it looks more like what you're saying a cuzco is...?

bridge

1) T. Pachanoi/Peruvianiod?

2) T. Cuscoensis