The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
webby

gold tops picked today in nnsw

Gold tops are cubensis, right? Do they ONLY grow in cow shit or can they grow elsewhere?

Also in central/north coast NSW would there be any mushrooms that could be mistaken for gold tops?

I know I could try searching this elsewhere but it just leaves me confused, I need some local knowledge.

The University of Newcastle has a wall of fame for mushrooms identified on campus, but no psilocybes are on there. :(

Yeah, they pretty much only grow on cow shit.

For a 100% positive ID, snap or cut a stem and observe a gradual (~ 2 mins) staining blue/green as the psilocin oxidises.

Next time you find some NSW goldtops, I'd really appreciate a spore print - I'll gladly pay for postage and a little extra for beer money.

Edit: both of those assertions are actually not strictly always true - but useful rules of thumb nonetheless.

Second edit: coprophilic is the word for it. What filthy little things.

Edited by mycophage

fraid not mate, maclean is northern nsw...gosta wait a bit longer 'round these parts...

i'm not referring to subs mate im referring to cubes... ive heard they grow here but just never looked properly

i 'think' i may have seen some at my feet about 6 years ago when on my great uncles farm in kangarilla but unfortunately both him and my dad were standing next to me and i didn't get the opportunity to bend down and investigate without arousing suspicion

a bit longer for subs though only approx 4 mnths... that time will fly ;-)

in the meantime! :D :innocent_n:

Gold tops are cubensis, right? Do they ONLY grow in cow shit or can they grow elsewhere?

Also in central/north coast NSW would there be any mushrooms that could be mistaken for gold tops?

I know I could try searching this elsewhere but it just leaves me confused, I need some local knowledge.

The University of Newcastle has a wall of fame for mushrooms identified on campus, but no psilocybes are on there. :(

Both of these are woodlovers not dung lovers but are still mistaken for psilly cybes

Hypoloma sub-lateritium /non-edible not poisoness

Galerina patagonica - Very poisoness

are two species that could be commonly mis-identified as Psilocybes [although i've never done that i've seen people who have]

A good general rule regarding any psilocin/psilocybin containing fungi is that they all generally bruise blue [due to the oxidation mentioned by mycophage] but also a good rule to remember is not all mushrooms that bruise blue contain psilocybe

always know with 101% certainty how to identify what your picking there are some dangerous little fun guys out there and they can cause you some serious permanent damage if not death!

as for the hall of fame... spread some spores and you never know what might show itself :shroomer:

also this is an excellent reference for people interested in this field!

Magic Mushrooms of Australia and New Zealand, by John W. Allen

happy hunting!

I found these in Central NSW approx 18 months ago

Cool nice cluster there! Central NSW, that's different to the usual humid habitat for cubensis. Growing on cow dung, or is that heavily manured soil? Were there special circumstances in the local environment that allowed a higher humidity (i.e. dense foliage, pooling water?). I am interested in the extremities of cubensis distribution in australia...

Those look more like subs than cubes. The hygrophanous cap is the dead give away.

Cool nice cluster there! Central NSW, that's different to the usual humid habitat for cubensis. Growing on cow dung, or is that heavily manured soil? Were there special circumstances in the local environment that allowed a higher humidity (i.e. dense foliage, pooling water?). I am interested in the extremities of cubensis distribution in australia...

Herbal hindsight posted a pic showing a cluster of subs, they like to grow in damp little niches but they can pop up almost anywhere there is a source of cellulose like woodchips or a layer of forest litter when the weather is right ie cold and damp.

Herbal hindsight posted a pic showing a cluster of subs, they like to grow in damp little niches but they can pop up almost anywhere there is a source of cellulose like woodchips or a layer of forest litter when the weather is right ie cold and damp.

ahh thanks the thread title fooled me. thought they looked kinda different...

Those subs remind me of these cubes:

post-6519-0-18671900-1296393046_thumb.jp

post-6519-0-25330600-1296393097_thumb.jp

post-6519-0-18671900-1296393046_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-25330600-1296393097_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-18671900-1296393046_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-25330600-1296393097_thumb.jpg

I am interested in the extremities of cubensis distribution in australia...

same, and I'm talking about naturally occurring - not fungal experiments gone wrong or old placed outside.