The Corroboree
caludia

sassafras

Telemetric - is this C.laubatii (syn tamala)? I brought some down because I noticed the strong bark, but they did not like the hot & dry spring we have here.

seems the info'll come out sooner or later here's some more:

cinnamomum laubatii - not sure on the syn tamala bit, but the report im reading from mentions two chemotypes, one without aromatic compounds in the leaf and the other with 10% safrole among other things... am still working on getting percentages for the bark of this species...

I have a question about sassafras that is quite specific (there is a pun there, just wait and see!) so i thought i would just add it to this thread rather than starting a new one.

Sassfras exhibits allelopathy, meaning that there are chemicals released by the tree, either from its roots or from decaying seeds and leaves around the tree, which discourage growth of other plants around it.

There is a type of allelopathy called autotoxicity, which means that the allelopathic chemicals affect plants of the same species, whereas most allelopathy is aimed at plants of other species.

So my question is: is Sassafras autotoxic? if so, what's the recommended distance between separate trees in the ground? i know that it forms thickets, but these thickets are clonal suckers, so i am actually interested in separate seed-grown individuals here. thanks for any light anyone can shed...

I have seen discrete trees as close as five feet. There are two that live on the embankment below my house, and they are separate plants no more than eight feet apart.

Also, lots of plants grow around Sassafras here. Black walnut is the one that inhibits plant growth below/around it the most. I can't say I've seen enough evidence to say that Sassafras is inhibitive as you say. But I'll take a closer look. They are beautiful here this time of year...

can someone sell me sassafras?? australian sassafras is ok as long as you are able to consume it

I have plenty of plants if your in the USA.

USA only. i don't do international shipping anymore as it may somehow be construed as me doing something illegal. Find somebody in the USA to relay it to you if your really interested.

I would like to find sassafras oil

anyone have any experience with this

pure extacy

Edited by opiumfreak