The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alchemica

Importing plant extracts and other Q's

If one was to import an plant extract that does not contain scheduled/controlled substances, eg things along the lines of Nymphaea caerulea 100:1 or Erythrina extract 90% alkaloids, would these items be in violation of Quarantine or Customs legislature, particularly on the basis of being "plant material" of potential risk? Is it also important to ensure that the goods are marked "Not for consumption" and that no therapeutic claims are made?

Also, just out of curiosity, if the vendor was also selling items that are prohibited in Australia but legal in the country of origin (saliva, kratom), would it be likely that the products someone was ordering were opened, analysed and never allowed into the country even if they were legally OK to import? Will simply ordering from a shop that also offers scheduled substances for sale cause problems for the individual in the future?

Slightly different angle: I've heard - if I haven't got the wrong idea about things - that items that are generally considered Schedule 4 seem to be legally obtainable when the "not for consumption" label is added. For example - melatonin, L-DOPA etc. How far does this extend? Can piracetam, huperzine A (not sure if this is S4) etc be labeled "not for consumption" and imported? The main thing I would like to clear up with this is if pure oxytocin as a peptide reagent (eg obtained from a lab supplier) is no longer Schedule 4 like Syntocinon?

I've never managed to understand laws very well and couldn't find anything here that seemed to answer the question... Forgive me if I've missed something obvious.

Any input is much appreciated.

If one was to import an plant extract that does not contain scheduled/controlled substances, eg things along the lines of Nymphaea caerulea 100:1 or Erythrina extract 90% alkaloids, would these items be in violation of Quarantine or Customs legislature, particularly on the basis of being "plant material" of potential risk?

You need to satisfy quarantine rules. If the plain herb that the extract is made from complies then so does the extract. Sometimes the processing method will reduce the quarantine burden, so make sure you know the process so you can submit it on request [eg alcoholic extract is usually allowed, but water extract is often not].

Is it also important to ensure that the goods are marked "Not for consumption" and that no therapeutic claims are made?

No and yes.

Also, just out of curiosity, if the vendor was also selling items that are prohibited in Australia but legal in the country of origin (saliva, kratom), would it be likely that the products someone was ordering were opened, analysed and never allowed into the country even if they were legally OK to import? Will simply ordering from a shop that also offers scheduled substances for sale cause problems for the individual in the future?

Does not matter other than that your parcel may trigger a positive swab test. But that is usually resolved before it becomes a problem.

Slightly different angle: I've heard - if I haven't got the wrong idea about things - that items that are generally considered Schedule 4 seem to be legally obtainable when the "not for consumption" label is added. For example - melatonin, L-DOPA etc.

wrong. Melatonin is exempt when NFHC because the schedule entry is limited to "melatonin for human consumption". l-dopa has no such limitation as far as I remember.

Thanks Torsten.

If you don't mind answering a couple more questions in your own time... I've done a bit of looking around at ICON - from what I've read, it seems that I can just get them to declare the powder/resin extracts as either "Dried herbs, personal use" or for more refined extracts "Organic chemicals and substances - Highly refined", while any of the items with dosages stated or that are encapsulated will have to be "Dietary supplements and natural medicines containing ingredients of plant origin, for personal use" - limiting sizes to 3 months use. Does this all sound correct?

For anyone else that has wondered about importing extracts and phytochemicals etc, here is some of the information I stumbled on, following links mentioned in other threads:

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/import

http://www.daff.gov....import/icon-icd

Organic chemicals and substances - Highly refined

Non-Commercial

1. The conditions under the Commercial section apply.

Commercial

1. An Import Permit is not required for organic chemicals of plant or synthetic origin and alcohols, vitamins and amino acids derived from a microbial fermentation process.

2. Consignments must be highly purified and/or highly processed substances. Documents and/or products are subject to inspection to confirm the description of the goods. It is the importer's responsibility to provide sufficient documentation (such as a declaration, Material Safety Data Sheet or certificates of analysis) to satisfy quarantine that the product in each consignment is as stated.

3. It is the importer's responsibility to satisfy quarantine officers of the origin of the product. If the importer is unable to do this, an Import Permit is required. Permit applications must be sent to AQIS Canberra office for assessment.

4. An Import Permit is required for all other organic chemicals including animal tissue extracts (eg tallow derivatives and microbial fermentation products including antibiotics).

Dried Herbs - human consumption or human therapeutic end use

Non-Commercial

These conditions apply to personal consignments of all dried plant parts (including seeds, fruits, herbs, bark and roots) and plant part mixes for human consumption or human therapeutic end use weighing no greater than 1 kg per product type. Products weighing more than 1 kg must comply with commercial conditions below, re-exported or destroyed.

1. An Import Permit is not required.

2. A Quarantine Entry is not required.

3. For all material or packages in the consignment that are labelled with full botanical names i.e. genus and species, or is easily identifiable, please consult appropriate ICON case for import conditions.

4. All material in the consignment must be thoroughly dried and not capable of propagation.

5. Each consignment will be subject to an inspection to verify that it is free of prohibited seeds, live insects, soil and other quarantine risk material.

6. If the consignment is not botanically labelled, the dried herbs are not listed on ICON, or the officers cannot identify the plant matter and the consignment does not contain seeds, then the consignment is to be directed for treatment using:

a) heat treatment (T9569); or

B) gamma irradiation (T9651); or

c) export; or

d) destruction

at the importer's expense.

7. If seeds are found on inspection the consignment is to be directed for treatment using:

a) gamma irradiation (T9651);or

B) export; or

c) destruction

at the importer's expense.

7. After inspection and treatment, all consignments that meet the above import conditions will be released from quarantine.

Also search ICON for:

Dietary Supplements and Natural Medicines containing ingredients of Plant Origin

Human therapeutics and medicines

Edited by Alchemica

yep, that's about it.