The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Vito

Native ID Please

G'day Vito. 'Native number 2' has interesting seed pods. Were these plants photographed in your neighborhood?

G'day Vito. 'Native number 2' has interesting seed pods. Were these plants photographed in your neighborhood?

not exactly, are those seed pods are they, I'd like to grow one of those plants if it's what I think it is. It was in Vic though.

^ i am assuming that they are developing seed pods.!? . I have had a bit of a look through my plant books but cant find a match. Someone around here will know for sure. And welcome to the forum.

native 2 looks very much like Acacia maidenii...

Bingo. I was also of this thought.

If I took some of those pods could I grow my own?

implexa looks alot like maidenii

Ah ok. Are there some giveaways that make you think it's inplexa over being a

maidenii?

It has been brutalized a bit in terms of debarking which I thought would be a sign of being maidenii- I don't, nor does swim want to do that to the tree, but swim would like to grow his own if it is maidenii.

on second inspection #2 probably is maidenii.. not implexa :rolleyes:

hard to tell from photo.. but well worth getting some seed either way.. implexa generally grows in a drier habitat & has harder bark which develops a more 'scaley' appearance.. as well as other subtle differences in habit which become obvious when you know what they each look like..

edit: i'm going to shut up now as it's impossible to tell from that pic

Edited by paradox

on second inspection #2 probably is maidenii.. not implexa :rolleyes:

hard to tell from photo.. but well worth getting some seed either way.. implexa generally grows in a drier habitat & has harder bark which develops a more 'scaley' appearance.. as well as other subtle differences in habit which become obvious when you know what they each look like..

edit: i'm going to shut up now as it's impossible to tell from that pic

OK, and growing these seeds, any ideas? I'm in a new estate which has a few parks being developed, and within these are a bunch of new trees being planted, so a few Maidenii amongst them would be easily done, and very good too.

So I take a few pods...and then what?

1. it's hard to tell with just leaves, how many prominent lateral veins does it have?

2. Twisted pods are a characteristic of maidenii

3. Looks like saligna

OK, and growing these seeds, any ideas? I'm in a new estate which has a few parks being developed, and within these are a bunch of new trees being planted, so a few Maidenii amongst them would be easily done, and very good too.

So I take a few pods...and then what?

Boil the jug, poor over the seeds, let it sit over night, sow the next day in well draining soil.