The Corroboree
migraineur

Cactus and Succulent Society of W.A???

Hey,

First time poster here. I was wondering if any Western Australian users have ever been to a meeting of the Cactus and Succlent Society of W.A.? If so then is it any good?

I am trying to find some decent places in Perth that sell Cacti. I was also thinking of checking out http://www.wacactusucculent.com.au

I checked out Bunnings and a few other places but I find nothing or what I do find is appalling.

Cheers,

Migraineur

hey dude! welcome to the forum! bunnings is crap. wa succulent supply wont have what your looking for. wa soceity is alright. there will be a cactus show in feb. ill post details closer to the date.. your better off keeping your eyes peeled. more chance finding them in gardens then at nurserys. what are you looking for???

yeah as said above stay on the lookout for them in your neck of the woods, and ask for a cutting. chances are you will get one or more for free or cheap, just dont go asking for cuttings of pedro wearing tie dye or anything like that..

hey dude! welcome to the forum! bunnings is crap. wa succulent supply wont have what your looking for. wa soceity is alright. there will be a cactus show in feb. ill post details closer to the date.. your better off keeping your eyes peeled. more chance finding them in gardens then at nurserys. what are you looking for???

Hey man,

Thanks for the information. How big is the club and what kind of people are there? I imagined it being a club full of old geezers. I am looking for San Pedro and Bridgesii but I am also keen on non psychoactive cacti as well. They look good and they are good to place under entry points like windows etc because they frustrate burglars etc so they're more likely to break into someone else's place =P I just got a bunch of seeds in the mail that I ordered from Earth Alchemy but it will take a while until they grow :( I also need to locate some 'coarse sharp sand' at the moment for the seeds. The user B. Caapi told me about some hardware store that has some cactus mix that he uses but I think it's hell far south of the river but I'm keen for a drive. I live in the Swan Valley area.

hey dude! should of got your seeds from here http://www.seedsaustralia.net/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3 its alot cheaper then EA. yeah the club is mostly full of oldies but there are a few young guys/girls. you can get play sand from your local bunnings or just buy a cactus mix (from bunnings) and sift it so your just left with sand. no need to drive all that way for sand :P . are you planning on doing the takeaway tek?

ps PM me i can help you out with a bit

Edited by B_T

hey dude! should of got your seeds from here http://www.seedsaustralia.net/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3 its alot cheaper then EA. yeah the club is mostly full of oldies but there are a few young guys/girls. you can get play sand from your local bunnings or just buy a cactus mix (from bunnings) and sift it so your just left with sand. no need to drive all that way for sand :P . are you planning on doing the takeaway tek?

ps PM me i can help you out with a bit

Hey man,

You told me to send you a private message so you could help me out but I can not find a way to do it. I think I am not allowed to yet as new members are restricted until they make a certain number of posts and have been here for so long. The Shroomery did that too when I joined many moons ago. I left this message on your profile under 'comments'.

Maybe if you message me first then I will be able to reply to you.

What is this takeaway tek that you speak of? I know a bunch of mycology teks but none to do with cacti.

Thanks heaps, man. My girlfriend's parents owned a bonzai nursery and when they moved overseas recently they gave me a bunch of potting mixes and various other gardening things so I will have to go to the shed and check the stuff out more thoroughly. I might be able to find some things that are good for cacti and succulents.

By the way, do you know anyone in Perth who is willing to trade cuttings of B. Caapi?

If you're looking for sand, I've heard good things about using plain builder's sand from Bunnings :D

Best of luck.

If you're looking for sand, I've heard good things about using plain builder's sand from Bunnings :D

Best of luck.

I heard builders sand was crap because it is too fine. That is also what Steffen from Earth Alchemy told me too.This was yellow builders sand anyway and I am assuming you mean that kind.