The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sethomopod

Vietnamese Flowers/Plants Advice?

Hi everyone,

Well I leave to Vietnam on the 2nd of oct for a least 3-5 years.. We have alot of land over there in a few different areas, but relatively close to each other, About 150ha.. but where I will be living, I will be starting a garden (of course).. Vege patch, Herbs and flowers.. I'll also start a patch for some special plants and cactus in the other blocks of land.... So,,, I was wondering if anyone here knows of some 'special' species that would be suited to the climate? I know of a couple species, such as Brugmansia, Lotus (we have a large water pond for these) and Morning glorys, But couldnt find too much more info of any others...

There is a good site showing the flowers of Vietnam.. http://www.flowerpictures.net/flashslideshow/vietnam/flowers/tropical_flower/tropical_flower.html Even when searching for shamans in Vietnam (which is an interesting story in itself re: govt not really approving of shamans in hill tribes but turning a blind eye), there is little info on the entheogens used....

Hey Velvet Siren, Have you ever come across any medicinal plants used by the Vietnamese as well as the chinese?

the exact location is: 12 degrees 04'09.00"N 109 degrees 07'51.25"N Check it out on google earth... Its the big blue factory.... So thats the climate, Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I am lucky enough to have workers that can build beds, such as raised beds for cacti.. So providing an tailored environment is no problem..

I also offer an invitation to members here, to come visit, if you're in Vietnam...I can offer a bed and a friendly tour of the area, I have only had the chance of meeting a couple of members, so if I can help out, and meet some more of you good peeps, mi casa, es su casa!!

Thanks in advance for any help....

hey good to hear you are there safe and sound sounds lovely

as far as i know most chinese medicinals are used in vietname, just got vietnamese spellings. there are a lot of similarities between china and vietnam.

i would say that most medicinals form china they would use in vietnam as well, however vietnam may have their own medicines but i would guess that the chinese would of incorporated them into tcm practices by now

but worth visiting herbalists and seeing whats there

hey good to hear you are there safe and sound sounds lovely

as far as i know most chinese medicinals are used in vietname, just got vietnamese spellings. there are a lot of similarities between china and vietnam.

i would say that most medicinals form china they would use in vietnam as well, however vietnam may have their own medicines but i would guess that the chinese would of incorporated them into tcm practices by now

but worth visiting herbalists and seeing whats there

Thanks for your reply Velvet,

I'll be visiting the herbalists, and try and find out as much as I can about the relationship between Vietnamese and Chinese medicine.. Might be able to collate some info re: different names for the same herbs...

I'm thinking I could go and visit some hill tribes, We have drivers and translators... May be able to talk with some. (I hope) and learn some of their ways... I know some tribes are not intimidated or threatened by foreigners.. This may be the way to go...

I will Pm you soon with some ideas...

Hey that sounds like a fun trip....3-5yrs, you could set up some fantastic gardens in that time.

Apart from the usual suspects in a tropical food forest

(mangosteen, durian, Anonna spp. jakfruit, chempedak,

banana, papaya, sesbania spp., and lots of others)

you could start some of the rarer forest species for fruits, medicinals and incense species.

one genus that comes to mind is Aloeswood or Agarwood (Aquilaria spp.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquilaria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agarwood

Sandalwood (a root hemiparasite) grown as a polyculture with Teak, Neem,

and any other valuable tropical forest timber species.

there are also spices etc.

Many of the Prosea volumes would be an invaluable resource for you

especially if you're gonna be there for that long.

also available in CD Rom.

http://www.prosea.lipi.go.id/

.... i gotta go now , the kids are out of control!

good work geezer.

i can't help you too much, but i was delighted to find liquorice root at a market in N. Vietnam.

I guess galangal & kratom would grow well there.

good work geezer.

i can't help you too much, but i was delighted to find liquorice root at a market in N. Vietnam.

I guess galangal & kratom would grow well there.

Thanks mate! I'll have to look into the legality of Kratom over there.. Everything I do will have to be above board..

Gecko; Thank you so much for putting me onto the prosea volumes!!... They look like they will come in handy, especially the 3 volumes pertaining to poisonous and medicinal plants..

I'm very excited about the prospect of having a fresh new garden to build!!

One herb I have been trying to source with little luck is called "Vietnamese Balm". This (elcholszia[?] spp) was famous for once being passed around the net in 2002 for being the next "legal" Salvia Divinourm. But no-one ever got a chance at the time to test its psychoactivity. The leaves do look amazingly like SD too.

Love ya SPod