The Corroboree
kapitän kamasutra

How to plant a Psychotria leaf ?

Hello! I have heared that it is possible to propagate Psychotria via leaf cuttings. I have fresh leaves and I have planed to put them in soil and keep the pots moist in a baggy until roots emerge. But I have serveral questions.

Does this sound like a good procedure you think? Is it possible to make several cuttings from one leaf? is it important which side of the leaf is in the ground? Do plain leaf work at all or does it need a meristem at the base of the leaf stem? Thanks everyone for input!

cut bout a quarter of the bottom. plant in coarse sand. keep humid and warm.

Edited by incognito

it's easier than you think, and we know that because people here told us they planted the leaves, wrong way up, sidways, multy folded and what have you, and they all managed to form a plant.

if a leaf is big, you might cut it into 3 pieces, smaller one's just into two.

as the people will tell you, there are a few different methodes, and i think they all work fine, many path's are leading to rome...

the most important factors are,

very high humidety, high temperature, and not to stress the cuttings with too much direct sun.

Edited by planthelper

dont think so. i think the freezing would have totally killed any living tissue.

I put into a ziplock bag and when roots emerge cut a piece off and plant it into soil in a zippy bag to maintain humidity. Can get several plants from a leaf this way.

By the way there's an entire thread on this already existing and even still current, right here, still in the first 5 or so threads on the Ethnobotany forum.

it's easier than you think, and we know that because people here told us they planted the leaves, wrong way up, sidways, multy folded and what have you, and they all managed to form a plant.

if a leaf is big, you might cut it into 3 pieces, smaller one's just into two.

as the people will tell you, there are a few different methodes, and i think they all work fine, many path's are leading to rome...

the most important factors are,

very high humidety, high temperature, and not to stress the cuttings with too much direct sun.

fantastic info! on the direct sun note i have mine outside in a plastic mini greenhouse 1mx1.5m, then my cuttings are in another mini greenhouse you buy from bunnings, 30cm x 15cm and i have draped a fine flyscreen over that mini green house to let in little sun, is this too much sun still?

on the humidity note, a few of my leaves have grown mold (fur) which i disposed of straight away, do you know why this could be? thanks PH ive heard your plants are always the healthiest.

mint this sounds very much like overexposure to the sun without ample airation.....just vent the bags or chambers or whatever every few days or so to flush fresh oxygen in the bag....or put them in the shade if u dont want to flush them as often?

Thoughts guys