The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
planthelper

rating system

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

maybe a poll will help, making good decisions about the green and red squares! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Thanks Planthelper,

Maybe I don't fully understand who the system works but I can't see how it has any use what so ever.

I read where torsten wrote about how it might limit unnecessary posts in a thread like; yeah, good on ya, I agree etc but I can't understand how it actually serves this purpose. Torsten said it could work like face book, where you can like or dislike what someone has written without having to type anything but how can this work when the the ratings are anonymous. How do you know who has liked or disliked what you have written. Dale Cooper wrote words to this effect but I really didn't understand Torstens answer.

Also aren't the points cumulative (again I don't fully understand how it works), so how could it possibly rate a post. For example, you could have -4, write something that someone likes and they put you up to -3. How does that help to rate a post. I can see how it might say something about the poster in general but that's pretty useless as it is based on the personal opinion of one person.

All I know is it doesn't help me choose which posts I do or do not read. Most posters seem to have a rating of 0 anyway. Personally, I don't think I have ever used the rating system. To me it seem rude because of its anonymity.

Is my understanding of the rating system completely wrong?

I have often found the shit fights it creates interesting but when Chiral updated his cactus grow log and he got all the negative ratings it was really upsetting to me.

I am yet to understand how the rating system has any use what so ever.

Edited by Sonny Jim

Hi Planthelper,

I haven't completed the poll because there is an important question missing IMO.

"Are you more likely to give positive or negative ratings?" or something similar is important. I think the rating system has some merit when boosting a post legitimately, saves replying to a topic to say "I agree with this guy" or "That was useful information". The negatives are where things seem to get out of hand, but obviously some people prefer to give a neg rating to a post they don't like than the other way around. The anonymity factor is something that comes in to play as well.

This has all been said before by various people, but hey... I'll say it again.

Edited by Rabaelthazar

i haven't checked out chirals cacti log post you are refering to sonny jim, but i am sure to know what you mean.

sometime people get negative ratings for no aparant reason.

it's like they did realy good, but get punished.

"Are you more likely to give positive or negative ratings?", is certainly a good question and maybe i should have added aswell the question, "would you like the rating system abolished or not"?

however, i do think aswell that the rating system, has some benefical effects (as tort explained), but i think the negatives outweight them.

i have only once checked the reputation of the top posters once, and it's clear that one of the members who does a lot for the forum, get's punished the most, that sucks!!