The Corroboree
IceCube

Grafting with Harrisia

What opuntia sp were you looking at using ic? I've tried velvety try pear and cylindropuntia imbricata.

The tree pear does NOT like humidity at all and both seemed to calus off the union as soon as they got stressed and went dormant for whatever reason, lack of water, temperature...

I've got a couple of scions on an Opuntia species I found growing wild in Royal National Park which are doing nicely. No idea of the species. Also, picked up another species off the side on the road yesterday I'll give a try when I'm back from NZ. Much larger pads than the other species I've got. Recently acquired some Cylindropuntia subulata monstrose I'm keen to give a try too. How's the C. imbricata Harry?

What opuntia sp were you looking at using ic? I've tried velvety try pear and cylindropuntia imbricata.

The tree pear does NOT like humidity at all and both seemed to calus off the union as soon as they got stressed and went dormant for whatever reason, lack of water, temperature...

Hi Harry, the species I am using is Opuntia ficus-indica. It grows EVERYWHERE around here is also grows very fast. I had one paddle's roots completely take over a pot the same size as the one I posted above in around 3 months. It's pretty interesting to watch a new paddle form, they really do come from nowhere!

If anyone is interested in trading opuntia cuttings, I am all for trying new species!

Edited by IceCube

I've got a couple of scions on an Opuntia species I found growing wild in Royal National Park which are doing nicely. No idea of the species. Also, picked up another species off the side on the road yesterday I'll give a try when I'm back from NZ. Much larger pads than the other species I've got. Recently acquired some Cylindropuntia subulata monstrose I'm keen to give a try too. How's the C. imbricata Harry?

imbricata rejects the scion when the plant goes dormant due to end of season, lack of water etc. Scions take easily enough though. Pupped like a biatch as I remember so it was a high maintenance stock. Used to get a scalpel and cut out all the areoles but then it used to pup from under ground lol. Had no success with micrografts at all.

Extremely hard to exterminate :angry:

Interesting that imbricata rejects the scion when the plant goes dormant. Doesn't happen with other stocks. The prolific pupping sounds very much like C. subulata monstrose, although probably not nearly as bad. The latter pups from every areole with great vigour. I can foresee problems.

Maybe O.subulata non-mostrosa [=not a super pupper] would be best? - on the other hand a puppy cactus allows for many experiments and fast propagation. I works anyway, haven't played a lot though.

Other than that Opuntia compressa is supposed to be the optimal Opuntia for grafting. Don't have it

Will be experimenting with ficus-indica next season

If anyone is interested in trading opuntia cuttings, I am all for trying new species!

sure mang send me the seeds u promised me, and im all pears ,i got loads of different Opuntias

sure mang send me the seeds u promised me, and im all pears ,i got loads of different Opuntias

Done for sure :)

Had to regraft the ficus-indica as the scion fell off. This time I am using weight and cut them more squarely. Will save the opuntia for another thread :D

If ya'll would like to give imbricata a go the I can send you some cuts to start. Some have started to pup despite my extermination attempts :rolleyes: Don't let this one get away on you though hey, its a declared pset!