The Corroboree
Chiral

Foxtel IQ question..

Anyone else here have the foxtel IQ...I'm looking for a way to get recorded programs off the hard drive and onto my computer...anyone have any ideas how that could be done...?

The unit has copy protection on it's outputs so you simply cannot record the output to another external device...I'm looking for a smart way to get at the hard drive and lift the programs off if it's possible.

thanks.

I looked into doing this for a mate a few months back.

It is possible to extract recordings off the hdd by taking the hdd out, sitting it in a cradle and copying. However the problem is the recording is still encrypted.

I searched high and low to try and see if it can be decoded outside the IQ and come up with nothing.

Some will say they are doing it but thats it....no back up with show n tell

The only way is to use a video capture card or dvd recorder and record a program in real time and even then the copy will be in analogue

but if you do find anything different I would be keen to know

Edited by lickapop

IIRC youll need an image stabaliser/enhancer/sync device which are freely available, not sure if they are still running Macrovision on thier signal or a new type of encryption or dual signals.

HD vs's SD content on the other hand it may be more tricky because they do add a 'do not record' signal to the feed or via the ports at the back like you mentions but I think this can be avoided with an appropriate AV switch or a stabaliser that has one in it.

Its always changing and new devices are always requiring FW updates etc but if you really are keen go to http://www.dtvforum.info and have a good look around, there will be active threads on the subject.,

Oh and let me know how you go, the Topfield unit plus a stabalizer is the direction I was heading but may just get a TiVO instead.

Once Netflicks is fully available in Australia it will be all over.

Edited by AndyAmine.