The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
poisonshroom

Tabernanthe Iboga

I would like to hear about it

I have a plant myself but its only new (at the moment it has no leaves except two that are forming at the top), and there is barely anything out there except the same couple of reports repeated over and over.

I really just want to know everything and anything about this myserious plant - mainly growing it and things related to that, but all info will be greatly appreciated by myself and others who are interested in this strange plant

Also some pictures and links would be nice.

Thanks in advance

Search engine provided:

Iboga propagation

Iboga leaf use and pests

Iboga fruit questions

Native sources

and plenty more...

Wow

thank you :worship:

for some reason i cant seem to get good results using the corroboree's search engine.

looks like ill be reading tonight =]

Yeah mine has two leaves as well and hasn't grown for ages. Maybe we can share our ideas on bringing it out of dormancy, cause yeah, ill have alot of reading tonite now aswell. Or you could just read it and let me kno lol.

Edited by ref1ect1ons

I think heat and humidity are the most important things to keep it happily growing.

since i got it, its either been hot and dry or humid/rainy and cool (cold for here). iv only had it a couple of weeks, but its taken that long for the two tiny little leaves to separate. it pretty much just looks like a twig in some dirt now

from my experience. hopefully T or some of the others will pop in...they know a lot.

when i first got mine i had same troubles didnt get it figured for about 2 years. they grow fine here down to 15C, slow down under that. when small they dont like full some, partial shade is better. they hate having their roots mucked with too much. and they do liek to feed. when your plant is leafless there is not much reason to feed a lot, but after a couple weeks when the roots have settled i would give a weak shot of liquid ferts.

i used to be so scared of doing anything with mine and it suffered. so now i water a fair bit and fert a fair bit as well and its growing fast. here it is warm to hot, always humid, often wet and sun is now partially shaded. happy iboga plants :) these are potted.

May as well reply in here to you ref1ect1ons, since the discussion of dormancy seems to be moving here and I don't know that much about it anyway (not having looked after iboga through a dormant period). Generally plants come out of dormancy when the conditions are right - might be an idea to slowly increase water and gradually introduce to higher light levels and a warmer spot in the garden if you haven't already done this. Aside from acclimatising the plant to optimum conditions for growth I don't know what you could do.

poisonshroom, the search engine can be tricky sometimes, there is a thread on UTFSE here :lol:

Ok here she is, she is from the end of last summer, and still a sapling as it was only beginning to emerge as autumn set-in.

Thanks Racketemensch, i think it will be ok, never had any plant in dormancy, so yeah.

I just had to post because... well i. err, enjoy.

img1415s.jpg

Edited by ref1ect1ons
  • Like 1

Wow

thank you :worship:

for some reason i cant seem to get good results using the corroboree's search engine.

looks like ill be reading tonight =]

no need to use this sites search engine!!

punch this in to gxxgle search.

site:http://www.shaman-australis.com iboga

627 results :)

This is my first Post! Yay!

Well, my experience with Tab Iboga is as follows. I got a 20cm plant with 4 leaves about 3 months ago. Now it is 30cm with 8-10 leaves.

I live Gold Coast QLD - good climate, but has been very cold the recent winter... now the warmer weather is comming out - all my plants are outside and doing well.

What I did:

- kept the plants indoor constantly with about 4-5 hours of direct sunlight a day. - opened the fly-screen of the door so that the 4-5hrs was actually partial sunlight.

- lightly fertilised when the plant started looking sad.

- watered daily or whenever the soil looked like it was drying up

- would leave the soil to dry up and drought a bit for a few days once a month... just to toughen the plant and test to see if I was overwatering or not.

- Left the 60W Incandescent laundry light on at night so it was inside for warmth and lightly lighted from the light - all night long - still grew even in winter.

What I learnt:

- never overwater the plant

- never neglect its sunlight quota! (some nights I would leave the light on in the laundry all night so it would get 60W of light on cold/rainy periods.

- dont smoke cigarettes around the plant! for some reason it makes the plants leaves burn/turn brown/dry up. This is vital. Treat your Tab Iboga like your children and dont smoke around them.

My iboga plant now has 4 half green, crusty around the edges bottom leaves, and the 4-6 newest top leaves are green as ever!

The plant is now outside in the spring sunlight 5-7 hours a day. dont overdo the fertiliser. it rained for 2 days straight no sunlight... and the plant was outside the whole time. kinda started looking sad and leaning over, but one day of sun later and its as healthy as it has ever been.

closer to the summer months, Im taking it out of its plantbox and putting it in the ground in a permanent place.

I also have 3 other plants -

psychotria veridis (15cm tall):

This plant is just hopeless and week... it cannot handle anything and requires your attention every day. It now has aphids on it... the leaves are light green and looking very sad. I think its just because it needs a bigger plantbox and then it will take off once the weather round the Gold Coast gets a bit warmer (almost there).

Cactus (eileen)(20cm tall):

Easy to look after... doesnt die... likes heavy rain, or no rain at all... hasnt grown an inch, full sunlight all day... doesnt matter if its cold or hot, but waiting for warmer months to plant it into earth or bigger box to see it grow. strongest plant I have ever seen. If only it grew faster and reproduced quickly, I would have a garden full of these.

psychotria carthagenesis (40-50cm tall):

Excellent... much like the veridis, but the weather cold or hot doesnt hurt it much (must be a night less than 15 Celcius before leaves droop).... much easier to grow. has flowered once, planted 20 of the seeds, 5 more plants of 6cm height now growing too... much easier than veridis.

Im looking to find the same plants I have, or similar plants, that are much more developed as I need them strong enough to survive being planted in the ground permanently and weather the climate naturally. If anyone has a Tab Iboga, veridis, or cartha that is 50cm tall or more and healthy they are looking to sell, I would be very interested in hearing from you.

Thanks,

Patrick

My leave both fell off after I put fish emulsion on it, I didnt get it on the leaves an it was seasol brand. Why would this happen, they fell off IMMEDIATELY, like after two minutes one fell off, and so I went to spray it with just clean water and the other fell off. It doesnt make sense, T.iboga is the only plant I have trouble with, after a year this happens, it will prob die now. I cant get t.iboga seeds goin and now my plant is dead. Damn t.iboga must have something worth while.

Similar thing happened to mine, but im not sure if it was from fish emulsion - i use seasol too. I still have a tiny bit of hope for it because i can see tiny buds in some of the nodes, which may still sprout leaves. I think ill try again though (get another one), but also try and save the one i have.

Thats really good info PatBat and pretty much the kind of thing i was looking for =] we seen to have the opposite situation - my iboga didnt last too long, but my viridis are all really healthy and growing fast, and my cacti get visibly bigger every week or two. I would have thought the gold coast would be almost ideal for viridis and up here in NQ would be better for the iboga (much more like Gabon - temperature-wise at least). Im pretty sure i just didnt get something right with my iboga.

edit - the smoking thing sounds plausible too. I smoke in the room i had the iboga (the viridis are all in there too, but they are doing really good)

Edited by poisonshroom

PS that is strange, cause when I first got mine, i actuallky did this and a couple leaves fell of. I actually had it in my mind not to use fish emulsion with iboga again, but it was looking pale and i figured it had been a while.

I wont use fish emulsion with iboga again.

2 mins seems way to quick for any kind of fertilizer to make leaves drop.... sound smore the plant was already in some kind of shock and was going to drop them easily anyway...sounds fishy...

good stuff here:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=7FJqgQ3_tnUC&pg=PA601&lpg=PA601&dq=Tabernanthe+elliptica&source=bl&ots=QsOwuEQ8J-&sig=9G8biCPR69sCEmkvyVRH_EGo6og&hl=en&ei=RLKHTN3zOIzWvQPG5MGuBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CCAQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=Tabernanthe%20elliptica&f=false

page 598

My T.iboga plant died off over winter, I planted in the ground in soil mix as close to native as possible. as soon as winter 2010 came, leaves started to crimp, then yellow... now gone, a sad day indeed.

T.Iboga is, as the info on SAB states, a plant which does not like the cold.. "iboga stops growing at about 15 deg C and looses it's leaves at about 10 deg C. The tips start dying back if exposed to 5 deg C. Repeated exposure to 4 deg C will cause severe dieback from which the plant may not recover. A sinlge frost or a couple of nights at 1 or 2 deg C will certainly kill most plants."

If I had kept this plant in a pot and kept inside the greenhouse over winter she may still be alive.. does not like sydney climate... best thing to do.. mimic the plant's natural habitat as best you can.. which may well be for it's entire life if the climate you live in is not suitable.

Today I dug the remains up and weighs 5.08g root bark. not near mature enough... only the good die young.

I know where i went wrong with this - putting the plant in the ground in sydney climate... won't work out well.

-H

That book reference was excellent - looked like the rest would be an interesting read too =] thanks

And yea Sydney is definitely too cold. where they come from its usually 35-40c and hot at night and winter. Keeping the plant inside in winter with a light and something to keep the humidity up would work alright i would think - they live in the jungle so lowish light shouldnt be a problem really, especially when they get more established.

Im not looking to use the rootbark or other parts of the plant, to be honest it scares the crap out of me - sounds really really intense and unpleasant. But the whole thing is really interesting, and it sounds like it has some good medical potential.

EDIT: mine seems to be making a comeback XD the little buds are now making little leaves. i cut the bit off the top that was rotting and put a drop of honey on it (to hopefully stop any bacteria/fungus from getting to it), so hopeflly it will survive

Edited by poisonshroom