The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

Trichocereus pachanoi KK2150

Question

Anyonbe familiar with this strain?

P1000810.jpg

In my eyes, me not having big experience, especially in peruvianoids, but I think there's some peruv gene in this clone, and also, this doesn't seem like they KK2150 I see in Trout's notes but it's a tiny photo anyway.

Perhaps it's a mislabel and it's either 2151 or 2152? Thing is a I also have a KK2152 , they're both from SAB, they are not so similar, but the 2152 is seed grown whereas the 2150 was from cut...

So

1) is it the 'right' plant?

2) regarless if it's the 'right' or not , is this really a pachanoi? Why do I see traits of other species [like peruv] in it?

Note: all those KK numbers are in Peru,

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

13 answers to this question

Why do I see traits of other species [like peruv] in it?

Hi Mutant, despite of the sometimes non existing labeling and identification skills of knize, it has to do with the fact that his KK numbers mean nothing but that they have been collected in a certain area. Means that there are many hybrids with all kind of diffrent motherplants existing within this batch of KK seeds. Lets say as an example Pach KK2150 x Peruvianus, Pach KK2150 x Macrogonus, Peruvianus x Pachanoi KK2150, Pervianus x Macrogonus and so on. They could all look similar or they could look totally diffrent. Thats why its nearly impossible to find out the origins of a certain clone. It could be everything.

I had some KK2150 seeds a few years ago but they were not viable. I think a had zero germinations from a large bag of seeds. bye Eg

hmm that clears it up a bit.

but still, doesn't this look more paruvianoid than pachanoid? What do you guys think?

not that is matters so much...

Looks to be more aligned to T. cuzcoensis to me.

~Michael~

Thanks, nice to know!

I think I might have this plant, it was sold to me as a peru, I will have to add a pic for examination

I will have to add a pic for examination

please do :)

Yes looks to be T. cuzcoensis with the pronounced V notch & fat taper at the base of the spines

will take a pic of some crazy spinage tomorrow if i remember

Edited by mac

Hey there Mutant, sorry to bring this thread up again but I've been gone and now I'm back... This is an interesting cactus, I'm with you on the peruviana guess. What's the growth rate of this cactus comparing to your other trichs?

this actually came with my big ozzie order, so the growth rate of each rooted cut/seeding depends/depended also on the initial size of the cut. This having been said, it's been going maybe a bit faster than peruvs, but I am not really sure. I will post more photos in time.

I bought a seed grown plant some years ago from an online store in Oz (I can't actually remember which one) called T. glaucophylla that looks likes this, quite pretty too. Now, of course, that is most likely a meaningless name and hence a pointless bit of information but yeah i needed to exercise my fingers.

P1000983.jpg
  • Like 1

I post some pics of 2 specimens I got which may be related to this clone.

1. Was cut down from an old specimen that has been growing nearby for 40+ years since it was brought from Mexico as a cutting as well, I will post some pics of the original plant soon, it has a special rib formation as it grows forming sometimes 9 or even 10 ribs, quite fast grower.

2. Was also originated from Mexico some 10 years ago, it is extremely slow growing comparing to my other Trichos.

post-6367-128888386933_thumb.jpg

post-6367-128888389921_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Pacha

in a first look

I would say these two plants are more 'real' peruv, than cuzco. In fact, the one on the left resembles a bit my kk2152 and the other resembles a bit gnosis, maybe in a shorter spinage version.

but lets hear the more experienced opinions...