The Corroboree
tyler83durden

Dried gone bad?

Hi,

A friend of a friend got quite a big haul over the season and managed to dry quite a few in some zip lock bags. However after a month or so one of the bags appears to be full of dust? Unlike the rest of the bags. Is it mould? and is it still ok to consume the little suckers?

I feel he could be in for a loss?

Thanks

spores from the shrooms ? (i hope). . . desiccant is handy for keeping tings dry while packaged..

Edited by blowng

What colour is the dust you are talking about? It could possibly just be spores that have dropped from the mushrooms if they were picked fresh and thrown straight into the zip lock bags.

And like blowng has said, using disccant is handy for keeping things dry. You can pick up little desiccant containers (eg. from eBay) that you just put in the oven when it has absorbed all the moisture and it will be usable again when its finished drying out.

Here is the one I got a year or so ago. (50c coin for size reference) You can put it in a container and will help make everything moisture free (and even crispy).

post-7699-128256084629_thumb.jpg

-executi0n

Edited by executi0n

What colour is the dust you are talking about? It could possibly just be spores that have dropped from the mushrooms if they were picked fresh and thrown straight into the zip lock bags.

And like blowng has said, using disccant is handy for keeping things dry. You can pick up little desiccant containers (eg. from eBay) that you just put in the oven when it has absorbed all the moisture and it will be usable again when its finished drying out.

Here is the one I got a year or so ago. (50c coin for size reference) You can put it in a container and will help make everything moisture free (and even crispy).

-executi0n

Thanks for your replies.

Its a grey'ish colour almost like someone has scooped dry soil and poured it all over them. They were pre-dried before being placed into the bag and if it was spores it would seem strange that this was the only bag in which this has occured my only concern is that it may be a mould of some sort but by them being dry I find this strange. There is ab alful lot in the bag and would be shame to throw them out if un-cessary.

I will try and load some pics in time.

thanks

Edited by tyler83durden

I think I know what you're talking about and I wouldn't consume them myself. Is it almost as if the mushrooms have gone from firm, to flaky to partially disintegrated? Do the intact shrooms feel much lighter than you'd expect?

I've (known someone who has) had this happen in the past and these days, as a precaution, keep shrooms divvied up into many bags with just a small handful in each, in case a bag goes bad you've only lost a few. Earlier this year, I found some infested shrooms (see link)

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24504&view=&hl=maggoty&fromsearch=1

and my feeling is it was the presence of these fungus gnats that have turned bags of shrooms to powder. I've invested now in a food dehydtrator and it's the best 50 bucks I've ever spent.

Also, on a side note, for natural desiccant purposes, a small cloth bag filled with rice (uncooked, of course) does the same job at drawing the moisture out of the bag.

Also, on a side note, for natural desiccant purposes, a small cloth bag filled with rice (uncooked, of course) does the same job at drawing the moisture out of the bag.

Heh, that's a handy tip. I'll have to keep that in mind if I'm ever in need of any. A dehydrator would be a better option, but for something that cheap, and easily available, it's definitely worth a shot.

I too was looking into food dehydrators but was concerned about the high temperatures involved. As we know, the active ingredients in Psilocybes can be destroyed above 30 Deg'Celsius ( so i have read ???). What is the temperature variation of these dehydrators, min/max ? I have used rice as a desiccant but microwaved it for a few minutes and it becomes a moister magnet.(IME). @ tyler83durden, Does the contents of the bag smell like mould or musty ?

Edit; For future references, it appears that i have been misled with drying temps.huh.gif

Disregard above temperature.blush.gif

Edited by Amazonian

What is the temperature variation of these dehydrators, min/max ?

I can't say personally as I don't have one, and different models would probably vary, but one I saw had temps of between 35-70. I'm guessing you could find one thats a little lower than that.

I too was looking into food dehydrators but was concerned about the high temperatures involved. As we know, the active ingredients in Psilocybes can be destroyed above 30 Deg'celcius ( so i have read ???).

I (know a guy who) can attest to the fact that 35deg has had no effect on the potency of mushrooms dried in a food dehydrator. Either that or he experienced on helluva bejeesus of a placebo effect.

Edited by Rabaelthazar

Betcha it's weevils.

If the poster above who asked about it being lighter is correct, you have you're answer.

Also, sit and watch it for a while and see if you notice movement. Once had a full jar of chilli powder go south because of bugs. How can the little bastards live, feed and breed in an enviroment of pure chilli powder? :BANGHEAD2:

I (know a guy who) can attest to the fact that 35deg has had no effect on the potency of mushrooms dried in a food dehydrator.

You know, i had a feeling you would say that.newimprovedwinkonclear.gif Nice to know. Just goes to show that you cant believe everything that you read !

I was Googling trying to find all of the sites that i read about 30 deg' Celsius being a maximum for drying, and it seems i must have dreampt it 'cause i cant find any of them. What i did find is a thread here at the Corroboree. Here is a snippet of what Torsten had to say...

QUOTE:

Heat will almost immediately destroy psilocin. Heating shrooms in plain water to near boiling even momentarily will eliminate most if not all psilocin. Psilocybin on the other hand seems to be quite resistant to such short term heat exposures.

Food dehydrators at their usual 50-70 degC for the minimum time required don't appear to cause any loss in expected dry potency. ie this method is no more damaging than using dessicants at room temp.

END QUOTE:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19533

I too was looking into food dehydrators but was concerned about the high temperatures involved. As we know, the active ingredients in Psilocybes can be destroyed above 30 Deg'Celsius ( so i have read ???). What is the temperature variation of these dehydrators, min/max ? I have used rice as a desiccant but microwaved it for a few minutes and it becomes a moister magnet.(IME). @ tyler83durden, Does the contents of the bag smell like mould or musty ?

Edit; For future references, it appears that i have been misled with drying temps.huh.gif

Disregard above temperature.blush.gif

Yeah they smell really musty and mouldy he has taken some pics of them. When he laid them out it was almost like they were smoking with all the dust or what ever it is commin off them. He has also taken some shots next to a non-dusty batch for comparison reasons (the second and last photo).

Any thoughts on what he could do with them would great I would prefer no to throw them as the season is almost done here. Maybe he could grind em up or wash em or something :(

post-6085-128272628292_thumb.jpg

post-6085-128272632256_thumb.jpg

post-6085-128272634883_thumb.jpg

post-6085-12827263818_thumb.jpg

post-6085-128272642651_thumb.jpg

Yeah they smell really musty and mouldy

. Maybe he could grind em up or wash em or something

My advice is ,don't go there. ( don't eat them).I would be giving them back to the earth. Sorry mate.

castenada claimed not to smoke so much mushrooms as the remains after the mushrooms had been eaten by the little maggots.

maggot shit,dead maggots and bits of rotted fruits.

only report i've come across claimed smoking it was more potent than smoking plain dried fruit of the same species.

t s t .

t s t posted this in another thread, in case you didn't see it.

Why not try having a smoke? If you're not comfortable with the idea, get one of the local high-school kids to try it first.