The Corroboree
Young Nugget

Trich Peruvianus help

Hey all,

Came home the other day from work went to water my plants and thought i probably wouldn't need to after all the rain we have been having, so... waited till the sun came out to say hello, and then checked up on my plants....

But that's when i notice my cacti had some ugly green spots forming on its skin so i brought it inside, and now, 2 days later it's looking as thought it is starting to rot..

Could this just be root rot from getting too much rain??

Or is this some sort of bug eating it??

although i'm pretty sure its just over watering/too many rain's would keeping it inside for a few days and water it on the weekend be good or should i just leave it for a bit n see what happens...

And pictures...

dsc00103an.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dsc00108fi.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Young Nugget

Yeah been reading alotta posts here thought i may try haha....

but yeah dont quite know whether it may be too much water for my poor cacti or sum bugs inside, only reason i think it might be bugs is because our 7 foot tall Trich Spachiana got taken down by Slater Beetles (well was infested with them when we cut it open after it fell down)

but for now its inside under some rlourescant and U/V heat lights while gettin nice and warm with the Bearded Dragon

Hi young nugget it maybe black rot? Have you searched the forum for black rot pics? It looks serious but it might be a just a skin infection ,I wouldnt water it and get it some real sunshine as soon as.

yeah i was thinking it was black rot althought i thought it was called root rot :S ahwell.

it was only inside because its still raining outside and is shitty weather, would taking a cutting be an idea? or should i just see how it plays out

Yep this has been happening here as well,I recently scraped out the guts of a bridgesii and applied some sulfur.....seems to be working OK except the bloody queer weather!!!!

it doesn't seem to be spreading in area, but down the bottom it has taken out a nice scar and that's what i was worried about.

If surgery ends but being needed, would it be ok to graft the part i cut off onto another faster growing cacti or would it be healthier to let it dry a bit more and just replant it

Black rot & not necessarily from too much water although that's the cause of most occurrences of black rot. Some species are more susceptible than others. IMO adequate air circulation is important, esp in high humidity situations.

No need to replant, just let the soil dry out & water minimally during wintertime conditions. Also invest in some powdered sulfur & dust the affected areas, especially after surgery if the affected area is cut out.

Hi Nugget, zelly is right. This is black rot. It usually heals up pretty easy but i kinda dislike the way it grows on a few diffrent spots simultaneously. It makes the impression that the rot goes almost down to the core. Keep a very close look on it during the next weeks, give plenty of sun and keep away the water. bye Eg

Soft rot, or black weeping rot. I'm familiar with what looks to be a couple different sorts, the one like your which sort of causes a swealing of the infected skin which usually doesn't break or ooze any fluids and eventually dries up...like this...

943798054_874cf79a6b_o.jpg

...and the one that oozes black fluid...like this...

943797976_d4b5a2fae7_o.jpg

Here's another infection that I don't quite know how to describe...words just don't fit the fear something like this can cause...

943798062_8842a740ae_o.jpg

But the good news is that I didn't touch any of these plant with knife or sulfur and they all healed themselves and are fine.

Honestly though, most people worry too much. Even this next one rotted and dried up on its own all the while the tip continued to grow. And it is still a healthy plant.

2640631760_e2f345208e_b.jpg

My particular view is that if you cut an infected plant you are just as liable to kill it by exposing fresh tissue to the fungus or bacteria as you are to save it.

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith

thanks for the help, and yeah it has just formed a callus but am sort of worried about the lower part because it has eaten into the poor thing

so thats what the ozzy black spots on one of mine are, thanks for the topic, so sulfar dust will clear this up? is Black rot a fungal infection? Or just a side symtom of Root Rot.

Hey, thanks for the very informative post Michael!

There is also a thread about this topic I had opened.

From some discussion and a brief research, soft rot is the right term to use, even though people have been calling this black rot a lot, spot on , for some, but I think black rot is wrong, and is soft rot is more spot on!! [rhyme on rapp character intervention].

I have too never one plant died from this, and I never did anything to prevent it, apart from avoiding to water and splash it for some days and/or protect it from rain if it's winter]

I sense the disease lives in the long propagated by cutting clones. Both american clones i got two years ago, pc pachanoi and bridgesi had it, the bridgesii more heavily but this is probably because I chopped it a lot to propagate. Again, no cut died, not even a very smallish one I took in my early days. The ozzie material I got recently is a bit early to tell, and even if I think I saw something the other day on one or two of them, I guess they are pretty clean. Winter will be the final judge though....

Does anyone know of any non trichocerei plant getting this so persistently?

Anyone seen it on species like terscheckii and wendermanianus?

Could the bacteria actually like the alkaloidal content of the cactus surface and thus thrive in clones long valued by people?

heh, these are all wild guesses I know...

• Like 1