The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Areca chewing cancer cause found (BAD RESEARCH!)

This article exoplains how the safrole in areca nuts contributes to the formation of cancers. ........

The only problems is that betel nuts do not contain any safrole :rolleyes:

================================

Safrole–DNA adducts in tissues from esophageal cancer patients: clues to areca-related esophageal carcinogenesis

Jang-Ming Leea, Deng-Chyang Wub, Hseau-Chung Tangd, Julie Lehd, Ming-Tsang Wuc, Hsao-Hsun Hsua, Pei-Ming Huanga, Jin-Shing Chena, Chun-Jean Leea and Yung-Chie Leea

Epidemiological studies have demonstrated that areca quid chewing can be an independent risk factor for developing esophageal cancer. However, no studies are available to elucidate the mechanisms of how areca induces carcinogenesis in the esophagus. Since the areca nut in Taiwan contains a high concentration of safrole, a well-known carcinogenic agent, we analyzed previous termsafrolenext term–DNA adducts by the 32P-postlabelling method in tissue specimens from esophageal cancer patients. In total, we evaluated 47 patients with esophageal cancer (16 areca chewers and 31 non-chewers) who underwent esophagectomy at the National Taiwan University Hospital between 1996 and 2002. Of the individuals with a history of habitual areca chewing (14 cigarette smokers and two non-smokers), one of the tumor tissue samples and five of the normal esophageal mucosa samples were positive for previous termsafrolenext term–DNA adducts. All patients positive for previous termsafrolenext term–DNA adducts were also cigarette smokers. Such adducts could not be found in patients who did not chew areca, irrespective of their habits of alcohol consumption or cigarette smoking (p

Yes, I've read the paper. My point is that they released an abstract that is false. It is the abstract that has found its way into lots of discussions about the issue and is promoting false information.

Interestingly, while researching this issue I came across a paper that show how cola drinks cause the same adducts. It appears to be the myristicin in cola that causes them. Looks like myristicin is actually worse than safrole in this regard.

So, in view of that I wonder if they will ban cola like they are banning betel nuts.

If you do a search of say betel, cancer, inflorescence you will get dozens of papers saying there is a link btwn chewing quid and cancers of the upper digestive tract. A few actually break the groups down well though. It seems that the risk is not so high for nonsmokers who chew quid without flower. The risks skyrocket for smokers and this is what you would exect as cigarettes are primarily cancer promoters. There also seems to be a significantly higher risk for the cultural groups who include the flower in their quid. So many of these studies are not seperating these groups and dumping their smokers stats in with their non smokers. All these studies do is reinforce that cigs will kill you. Mutanogens are everywhere in our environment and to a large degree our DNA repair systems can catch and repair single and possibly even larger cell mutations. Our ability to repair our DNA is in part genetic but also moderated by our environment. In short a better diet/health and a lower exposure to mutagens reduces our risk of contracting cancer.

Just because a cell has mutated does not mean it has become cancerous. It has to pick up a few more select mutations to become a cancer. Along the way it can pick up the wrong mutations and simply die. This is actually far more likely than it surviving and becoming a cancer.

Filthy cigs are promoters, which means they induce mutant cells to grow and multiply thereby exponentially raising the risk that the mutation will continue on to a cancer. All these extra mutant cells overwhelm the repair systems and this leads to cancers.

Betel is simply a mutagen if you want to ban them say good bye to the world you know. No aromatherapy, perfume, cars, synthetic fibres, pain, carpet, anti dandruf shampoo, contraception, drugs .......... and burnt food.

The real killers are promoters like tobacco. Surely that is the substance that should face prohibition!

i wonder about this as i chew, not all the time, maybe once or twice a week. i chew with the flower when i can as the taste is better. i put the cancer down to too much lime which i only use in small amounts ornot at all. to rule out the lime, do people who chew coca have a increased risk of mouth cancer??? do people who snort yopo/vilica have increased risk of nose cancer???? i read a study where some people who chew betel nut had a gene that made them less likely to get cancer whilst some didnt have it and got cancer easyer.

Ill just say now that your body is remarkably effcetive at killing cancer cells as they appear or else wed all be dead within a year of birth

but only if its healthy

I would suspect that the incidence of cancer would be much reduced if we werent under chronic stress

stresses in betel chewers might include the lime irritating the mucosa, excessive tobacco consumption, overworked and underpaid, malnutrition, the dumpng of nasty pesticides and chemicals in unregulated countries etc..

its all these stresses that drive you down and allow the odd cancer cell to slip through an otherwise very tightly woven net of defence