The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
jay6785

Possible Sub?

Question

Hi Guys,

My first post here but I read these forums almost daily..This is basically my first mushroom hunting season where I have been interested in partaking, and I have found many however none seemed to match the descriptions. I do find a few of these fellows around the place and am wondering if it is a sub? I am completely colorblind and have trouble seeing the blue (however I think it is lacking from this mushroom), and my girlfriends lack of interest doesn't help, can't trust she will just say 'no' to keep walking. It was found in a little bit of grass around the bass of a eucalyptus tree, along with quite a few other ones around the area. (on the side of a main road in Redfern)

I am waiting on the spore print now,

Thanks,

post-7443-127613192857_thumb.jpg

post-7443-127613203045_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

i found some possible subs today in woodchips on the bellerine peninsular. im pretty sure they tick all the boxes as outlined above. just to confirm,

should the cap be slimmy?

is it ok that they were growing in multi stemmed clumps?

they are a bit bigger than the ones ive picked in the past, the stems are thicker and the caps are a bit mutilated and wavy in shape, and more of a deep orange than gold colour.

im doing the spore prints now,

cheers guys

re the cap: no not slimy, but sticky. but this stickyness disappears as they dry, unding up being smooth and leathery in very dry specimens. (edit: if its been rainign lots, i guess they may be a little slimy)

yes they can have sort of orange colour sometimes, but more like an orangy brown, not so much deep orange. but wavy sounds good. but this also happens in other species.

multistemmed clumps, while this does happen often, it is the exception rather than the rule.

check the gill colour, and check for blue staining. if they are slimy, in my experience not them. stropharia semiglobata is a good example of sliminess as a comparison.

if your going to ask about id here, you really need to post pics, cant really go by text descriptions.

spore print may be of some assistance in id though.

cheers, Obtuse.

Edited by obtuse

OK, eddie not problem at all, I am not of that type.

but sTILL I stand by my opinion as well.

so you're suggesting that some galerinas in australia have purplish/darkbrown spores??? Or we are having a disagreement on how we perceive that particular print colour?

that's why I said galerina is galerina. And, mind you, psilocybe pickers in any part of the world are not "authorative study of Aussie shrooms" .

I know too much about mushrooms to have these stuff told at me.

Are you having some particular disagreement? I love to learn about other continents mushrooms and their differences, but it seems you're dissing me unfairly.

Sorry to have to ask this again in this thread but I am genuinely interested in the answer.

Eating poisonous fungi is a bad way to die. You'll get bad gastro for a day or so, then come good. Two days later your liver and kidneys will die and you a short time later.

The mushroom that made that print was not P. sub though. If you want to call me on that one I'll happily send you a bag of gallerina's and you can post a trip-report, although I'd ask you to do it soon after the 'gastro' goes. Another day or so and you wouldn't be posting anything.

How much/many of the Gallerina mushrooms would be need to be ingested to cause this kind of poisoning? Are we talking one wrongly identified shroom, big or small, out of a hunt or more like ingesting soley Gallerinas?

you missed my answer?

the nature of this type of poisoning is so bad you don't want want to eat even one, because it still might do some permanent damage

Sorry to have to ask this again in this thread but I am genuinely interested in the answer.

How much/many of the Gallerina mushrooms would be need to be ingested to cause this kind of poisoning? Are we talking one wrongly identified shroom, big or small, out of a hunt or more like ingesting soley Gallerinas?

A 2004 study determined that the amatoxin content of G. marginata varied from 78.17 to 243.61 µg/g of fresh weight. In this study, the amanitin amounts from certain Galerina specimens were higher than those from some Amanita phalloides, a European fungus generally considered as the richest in amanitins. The authors suggest that "other parameters such as extrinsic factors (environmental conditions) and intrinsic factors (genetic properties) could contribute to the significant variance in amatoxin contents from different specimens."[23] The lethal dose of amatoxins has been estimated to be about 0.1 mg/kg human body weight, or even lower.[43] Based on this value, the ingestion of 10 G. marginata fruit bodies containing about 250 µg of amanitins per gram of fresh tissue could poison a child weighing approximately 20 kilograms (44 lb).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galerina_autumnalis

So it sounds like a 60kg adult would need to eat close to 30 specimens to die, but as Mutant points out, 1 is still bad. Also it takes anywhere up to 7 days post ingestion to die from effects.

Edited by JDanger

Now tell me...,do all gallerina mushrooms have brittle stems.