The Corroboree
rahli

Flying doctors illegally shipped drugs for 20 years

The Federal Government has stepped in after it was revealed the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) has been in breach of the federal Crimes Act for the past 20 years.

The organisation was unaware it was illegal to distribute high-grade painkillers such as morphine and pethidine via Australia Post.

The Government will make changes to the Act to allow the service to re-stock its remote medicine chests.

The Federal Minister for Rural and Regional Health, Warren Snowdon, said it was imperative the Government acted swiftly to ensure people would be looked after in medical emergencies.

"We needed to get a change to the Crimes Act effectively to make it OK for Australia Post to handle these sorts of drugs on behalf of the RFDS," he said.

"We were able to work with the Minister for Justice, Brendan O'Connor, and get an amendment made to the Act to allow this to happen."

Link

We need to change the words on a piece of paper so that others may live/be comfortable etc. Humanity is so fuken pathetic. Who cares about this drivel (thanks for the article tho rahli), they've been doing it for 20 years and all-of-a-sudden they have to 'rush' through legislation so that people may recieve their meds.

How stupid is this, I feel like bitchslapping someone until they come to their senses.

Ok point made.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong I fully support the mission/role of The Flying Doctors, but shouldn't someone be going to jail over this. I mean they did break the law...

We need to change the words on a piece of paper so that others may live/be comfortable etc.

Absolutely agree man, if I have the ways and means to help someone out and if it is their decision to self medicate, then gov should stay out of it.

Don't get me wrong I fully support the mission/role of The Flying Doctors, but shouldn't someone be going to jail over this. I mean they did break the law...

While I never want to see someone go to gaol for this shiz, I agree, what good is the law if it doesn't apply to everyone. No-one thinks of that guy in gaol who self-medicates, no-one made excuses for him/her.

Because they were fucking saving lives! Thats why NO1 should go to jail. The law is intended to be used when ness, not when able.

Because they were fucking saving lives! Thats why NO1 should go to jail. The law is intended to be used when ness, not when able.

Of course they are saving lives. I'm not out calling for blood and I imagine that this law probably popped up and everyone thought business as normal. Part of the point I was making was that if I was doing the same thing, (minus the airplane) I would be going to jail ignorance or not. The RFDS is not a government entity, so why are some people more equal than others?

Of course they are saving lives. I'm not out calling for blood and I imagine that this law probably popped up and everyone thought business as normal. Part of the point I was making was that if I was doing the same thing, (minus the airplane) I would be going to jail ignorance or not. The RFDS is not a government entity, so why are some people more equal than others?

I think it would have something to do with how highly regarded the royal flying doctors are within the community. If you had as much support as they do, then I'm sure they'd let you fly potent opiates over state borders too, lol.

Why are they using Australia post...huh.gif

I would have thought a private courier service would have been in place for such transactions and deliveries since from day one...I s'pose this is a question of cost and using the cheapest logistics possible, but still, aust post is not the most reliable service in the world, god knows how many packages I've seen go missing over the years...rolleyes.gif

do they send everything via registered post...?

If so then shouldn't they have been declaring the contents, surely someone would have clocked the misdemeanor by now.

Is it illegal to send a prescription medication to a patient via local mail services...?

so many questions need answering.

I assume the service will have to apply for a special permit to send narcotics via the post in future...there will now be a "EXPRESS OVERNIGHT NARCOTICS" bag hitting the shelves of Australia post soon..smirk.gif

The permit or license will surely cost them more than they anticipate, bureaucracy being what it is an all.

I think it's about restocking remote outposts for doctors to administer, not for people themselves to obtain and self administer. It is surely a cost related deal. For now, all they need is verbal permission from sum high up authority until wording is put through as law. I doubt it will change anything other than making it legal for them.