The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yeti101

Salvia involucrata?

Does anyone know anything about Salvia involucrata?

I've got a very large plant growing, and I'm mystified by its somewhat resinous flowers and psychoactive-looking taxonomy.

I have been unable to find any actual information on what might be in it.Just wondering if it has something really deadly in it before I begin sampling (or testing on my unsuspecting friends).

many salvias contain cyanide..... not in huge doses, but enough to make cows sick that graze on S.coccinea.

I could not access it either, but check out this article that I turned up.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/medplant/about_mprc/A...e_nicotinic.htm

Not really about involucrata specifically, but it does mention it and it is a fairly interesting read (if you like this sort of thing).

Well, involucrata could not be too toxic, as in the article above a diluted extract made from 80% ethanol was squirted onto brain cells. On the other hand, these cells were no longer in their owners heads at the time. I can find no mention anywhere of this salvia containing cyanide, but that does not mean it isn't there.

Since some of the active components in S.involucrata are water soluble, It seems pointless to do an extraction with non-polar solvent, which would solve the potential cyanide issue, yes?