The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
WoodDragon

Mushroom cultivation on TV

I meant to post this last weekend, but being a slack-arse I've only remembered to do it now. :rolleyes: I hope that it's not too late for some.

On Sunday coming (30 May), on ABC1 at noon, Landline is broadcasting a segment on commercial mushroom cultivation. I suspect that any mycophile with a penchant for growing their own gourmet 'shrooms would be keen to see what the professionals are doing.

Be there, or be a cubensis. :shroomer:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be there without the cubensis (unfortunately)

Did you catch it?

I saw most of it, guy had a state of the art setup.

What was realy cool is the guy was using pulse's of ultraviolet (think it was?), to increase the amount of vitamin D in the mushrooms, enough to where a serve has 100% RDI.

Kinda disheartening what he said about the industry, Big guys get bigger, little guys get squeezed out & middle guys get smaller :( . Seems to be the way of capitalism though :( .

Hey Shrum.

Yeah, I recorded it for future reference.

I was salivating the whole way through, and like you I was disheartened by the way that it's become an all-or-almost-none game. It's probably a function of the big boys just growing so big that there's no room for anyone else... damn I hate that aspect of market economics. A few guys get to sit on top of the shit-heap, and the rest of us get the crumbs that they can't shove into their gobs.

It'll be a different game one day, when transport becomes expensive. May not happen for a generation or two, though... :rolleyes:

Edited by WoodDragon

For those who missed it (like me)

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2010/s2913158.htm

An interesting show, but how does one get spores of any unusual edible mushrooms?

Do you think store bought stuff could/would produce spores?

There is a guy at Paddy's Market in Sydney that sells about 12 fresh varieties; last I looked.

You don't necessarily need spores, you can clone them.

I'm a rank amature at shrooms & I've managed to clone an oyster mushroom from the stupid market with little more than standard kitchen gear & a glove box.