The Corroboree
vual

Beautiful Brugsmania

Found this beautiful brugsmania hanging over my mother in laws fence... cant believe i didn't spot it sooner :wacko:

Just wanted to share these pics and ask if anyone can confirm my suspicion this is a "Brugmansia candidia".

Defiantly my favorite flower, im really in love with it. :wub:

brugsdatura2.th.jpg

brugsdatura3.th.jpg

brugsdatura.th.jpg

Peace,

Vual

EDIT:

second thought it might be a Versicolor not sure if its orange or pink? 0_o

Edited by vual

They are one of my favorites as well. Sadly I had to come to terms with the fact that it is just too cold here, and give up growing them.

That looks like a versicolor to me. However versicolor hybridize and intergrade so easily that it is difficult for me to be certain.

-G-

Sorry vual no idea what type yours is but sure looks purdy, winter is the right time to be taking cuttings if im not mistaken , with a little bottom heat i think... i have been waiting to get me a cutting for years since the only one i ever saw growiing around teh place was chopped down by the owner after youths were caught stealing flowers and leaves (to smoke them i think) but i have since spotted another one in another town just been waiting for winter...I like to break of a flower and sip the nector from the trumpet hehe... I would love a big bush to take naps under in summer, wouldnt that be dream enhancing!

Glider,

I'm souther than are you, and my candida does very well indoors in front of a north facing window. I reckon that they'd be fine in a hothouse also, but it doesn't take much to fill a hothouse with brugs so I have avoided that approach so far.

B. sanguinea grow very well outdoors down here, although I myself don't have any growing at the moment. I'm in the process of relocating my plants even southerer, and when I've settled everything I intend to try a few different species outdoors, with winter protection, to see if they make it year-round. If not, well, they'll be indoors with a haircut over winter, and outdoors for the warmer weather. As a genus they are very adaptable to pot/barrel culture, and they make nice specimens even with reasonably bright indirect light.

And I know that B. sanguinea do grow well here, so in future there'll be at least one species permanently in the garden!

So don't give up on the genus yet - there are options for ya!

I'm souther than are you, and my candida does very well indoors in front of a north facing window. I reckon that they'd be fine in a hothouse also, but it doesn't take much to fill a hothouse with brugs so I have avoided that approach so far.

Hey, thanks for that. My profile is a reference to the N 40th parallel though, so you are quite a lot farther south than me! :)

A few years back I had a hot house packed with brugs and cacti, but the heating bill got prohibitive, so I've had to stop heating it.

Many brugs will happily root during the summer months, which is when I made most of my cuttings.

-G-

Glider.

Ah, a Northern Hemispherian! I'm very definitely a bit more southern that you then!

That'd explain your heating bill too. Here in Australia at my latitude it's a bit more mild than many places along equivalent northern latitudes, so we can get away with less power use. Damn shame about cost spoiling your heating.

Have you considered putting a passive thermosiphon system into your hothouse, using water as thermal mass? If you have the room outside for a heating array, and if you have decent winter sun access, it can make a noticable difference.

Hmm looks very similar to mine in flower shape\size\colour which I'm pretty sure is a B. candida or B. candida x ??.

Definitely my favourite plant to grow out of the entheogens.

Im even southenerer than wooddragon.

I have a couple of candidas that have been outside the last couple of winters, and survived, but havent flowered because i think their pots may be too small. they do tend to lose their leaves in winter tho.

I also have a couple of arboreas that survive winter outside and flower like mad come spring and summer. they also lose their leaves in winter.

But yeah B. Sanguniea is the go down here.

and Flava, the sanguniea and arborea cross. I finally procured a cutting from my neighbour who has a really healthy plant.

They flower like mad, one of my sanguineas is still flowering.

Gotta love the brugs. so sexy :devil:

Possibly Brugmansia fragrans.

A beautiful plant, it flowers 6-8 weeks after a good drink

it is easily raised from seed or cutting. It is NOT Datura.

Possibly Brugmansia fragrans.

A beautiful plant, it flowers 6-8 weeks after a good drink

it is easily raised from seed or cutting. It is NOT Datura.

dont think there is a b fragrans....nothing on google either....?

t s t .

dont think there is a b fragrans....nothing on google either....?

t s t .

Yes, a seniors moment, sorry

Brugmansia suaveolens (=agreeable/sweet scented)

I think there is a book, just on the Brugmansias, which may give more accurate botany

B and T World Seeds' reference number: 400686

USDA average, annual, minimum temperature Zone:9

Type of plant - shrub

Flower: WHITE (YELLOW / PINK) noct. frag. trumpets to 20-30 cm.

Foliage: ovate to narr.-elliptic, glab., entire

Height in meters: 2.0(5.0)

Parts of Brugmansia suaveolens are considered toxic.

Synonyms (alternative names) for Brugmansia suaveolens: Datura gardneri err, Datura suaveolens err,

Common names for Brugmansia suaveolens: (tox:scopolamine etc. tropane alkaloids), Maikoa, med:mydriatic effect from eye contact,~6 days),

PS

Dr. Duke's

Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases

Chemicals in: Brugmansia amesianum (SCHULTES) D'ARCY (Solanaceae) -- Culebra

Chemicals

ALKALOIDS Leaf 3,000 ppm; DUKE1992A Stem 3,000 ppm; DUKE1992A

ATROPINE Plant: DUKE1992A

SCOPOLAMINE Plant: DUKE1992A

Its hard to find a good chemical analysis of the plant. It seems however that the plant can change this at will,. A possible cause of poisoning?- "You bite me; I bite back" ?

Abstract Brugmansia suaveolens (Solanaceae) contains tropane alkaloids (TAs), which can act as chemical defenses. Selective pressures might modulate the allocation of alkaloids within the plant, as postulated by optimal-defense theory.

By tracing scopolamine, the most abundant TA in this species, we found that scopolamine in an artificial diet, in concentrations similar to those in leaves of B. suaveolens, increased mortality and prolonged developmental time of the larvae of the generalist noctuid moth Spodoptera frugiperda.

A diet of undamaged leaves of B. suaveolens also showed a large negative effect on the growth of larvae of S. frugiperda compared to a diet of leaves of Ricinus communis, a species that did not have negative effects on this moth; more valuable plant parts, such as young leaves, flowers, and unripe fruits with seeds, have higher scopolamine concentrations than other tissues; leaves of B. suaveolens increase their content of scopolamine after artificial damage.

The highest induction was found 24 hr after the damage, and after that, scopolamine content decreased to constitutive levels.

This increase represented a cost, because in another experiment, a treatment with methyl jasmonate, an elicitor hormone, increased scopolamine production 9.5-fold and decreased leaf growth 2.3-fold; a diet of artificially damaged leaves of B. suaveolens showed a negative effect on the growth of larvae of S. furgiperda compared to undamaged leaves, suggesting that damage by herbivores induces resistance.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/v3182j712717h8j6/ Edited by michaelangelica

Ah, a Northern Hemispherian! I'm very definitely a bit more southern that you then!

That'd explain your heating bill too. Here in Australia at my latitude it's a bit more mild than many places along equivalent northern latitudes, so we can get away with less power use. Damn shame about cost spoiling your heating.

Have you considered putting a passive thermosiphon system into your hothouse, using water as thermal mass? If you have the room outside for a heating array, and if you have decent winter sun access, it can make a noticable difference.

Yes, that's me, a Northern Hemispherian. We're just easing into summer now.

I tried a large number of things, including something like 700 gallons of water as thermal mass. The problem always came down to the portion of winter where I needed to maintain a minimum temperature of 30C above ambient. At that point I was burning so much fuel trying to hold the temperature above freezing that it quickly became not worth the effort. I could have fallen back to growing indoors over winter under lights, but by then (after the third winter of trying) I was disgusted with it and wrote it off as a bad deal.

It is my personal opinion that the plant in that picture is much closer to B. candida than to B. suaveolens.

http://www.brugmansia.us/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=67

I understand that B. arborea is particularly interesting in that it can, sometimes, cross with the suaveolens / versicolor / candida group. Thus it might be possible to lift the red from B sanguinea into an arborea and then bring that color into the white / pastel laden suaveolens et al group.

Personally if someone told me they knew that it was possible to breed a bright red B. aurea, I might be tempted to dust off my grow lamps and have at it again.

-G-

px.gif

You would't think a red would be that hard to hybridize.

This guy seems to have a lage range of over-priced ones

http://www.sacredgardenfrangipanis.com/angels-trumpets/index.php

brugmansia_hot_pink_005.jpgbrugmansia_red_hot_pink_004.jpg

This guy is a wholesaler

http://www.plantasy.com.au/temp/plantasy_www/showplantdetails.php?PlantID=24

I have several plants from seed that should flower soon (USA Hybrids from Chiltern).

I have white, double white, Apricot, gold and pink; so I am hoping for something new. The plants were surprisingly easy from seed.I am also looking for good fragrance. The double white seems to be the best so far.