The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
woof woof woof

the good nutmeg oil - indo oil?

The myristicin component is insecticidal and is thought to contribute to the hallucenogenic** properties of the extracts. It is normally lower in oil distilled from West Indian nutmegs and the recent study found only trace amounts in Jamaican nutmeg oil. :(

cool site though

http://wwwchem.uwimona.edu.jm:1104/lecture...res/nutmeg.html

but what about the safarole? & why is it not listed? Or is it listed as one of the other componants?

i will further search and try to find the answers myself. But would love to hear your comments. Thx

Since all nutmeg comes from Indonesia originally anyway youll probably find soem variation in the nutmegs homeland

i have seen differing analysis with regards to elemicin, safrol and myristicin profiles

I wonder given that mnost nutmeg to teh USA is from Granada and this subtype may or may noit contain the hallucinogenic principles of nutmeg

then how about all those bioassays by US and candian trippers

did they fail did they succeed

if their source was granada nutmeg then it throws the thery that myristicin is responsible wide open to further investigation

I remember noticing a range of effects from eating commercial powdered nutmeg (like masterfoods etc). I have always got some kind of psychoactive effect from eating 30 g or so. There seems to be the toxic effects that cause nausea, dizziness and deep sleep and this seems to happen with just about any nutmeg in a high dose. However, sometimes this effect is overlaid with a distinctly e-like amphetamine type feeling. Only once (n=~7) have i experienced the e feeling with unmistakable open eye phosphene visuals (kaleidoscopic fluorescent colours - very bright). The three classes of effect didn't seem to go hand in hand and suggest differences in chemical makeup and that even allylbenzene devoid material could be called 'active'.

30 g nutmeg eaten?

sounds like a deadly dose to me...

thanks fractal

so theoretically then extracts of nutmeg with the fractions known to be hepatotoxic removed could be tried

I think the paramount experiment should be to get some relatively pure myristicin and eat that by itself.

We alreay know that myristicin free oil has a very sedating and toxic effect. It's basically the main effect most people know about cos there is no high myristicin oil around anymore since the manufacturers realised they can fractionally distill and sell it separately.

The real question is whether it is the myristicin, safrole, elemicin or all three that cause the pleasant activity of the right sort of nutmegs.

well if elemicin is the active then it offers new possibilties for herbal teas

I would not be surprised if elemicin is one of the actives. I actually think all of the allylbenzenes that aminate to something useful would be active if ingested. The nutmeg experience is definitely different from the sassafras experience. Much more visually (ie blinding).

There are quite a few australian natives with elemicin in them so it should not be difficult to bioassay some of these for comparison.