The Corroboree
haze1205

help with transplanting iboga

I currently have 7 iboga seedlings, 6 of them are at the stage where they have their first set of real leaves, and the last one is just popping up. How sensitive is iboga to transplanting? They are all in the same pot with a couple roots poking out of the bottom so im sure their roots are somewhat tangled. Should I transplant now or wait till they have a few more sets of leaves? And does anyone have any advice with hardening them off to a drier climate? Thanks!

Edited by haze1205

Let them have a 3-4 sets of leaves. As far as hardening off goes remove all the leaves from the well established plant, leaving only the tiny growing tips. Put your plants into a shady spot and keep the soil moist. The new leaf growth will smaller and tougher. Fertilize in the summer with liquid fertilizer or manure.

Edited by mr me

personally i find these plants VERY sensitive in teh roots and transplanting can shock them. now i dont transplant mine until it is a little root bound and i can jsut pick up the clump with little destruction. i have come | | close to killing mine twice now when repotting, now ta i jsut leave te ball intact it goes on fine, though slow.

Thats my problem though, i currently have 8 in the same pot now most of them at the second leaf, with roots comming out of the bottom of the pot. I think it will be pretty much impossible for me to transplant them without disturbing the roots

many of us would have experienced this dilemma, but i think to wait a little longer befor seperating is the way to go. the roots of baby plants are simply speaking, very sensitive, and irepairable damage is likely to occure.

one thing is though very certain, in the moment you replant, you want that pottingmix just to posess the right ammount of moisture and texture, to aid the process of seperating and replanting.

not too dry and not too wet.

another major factor when repoting, specialy sensitive materials, is the speed you work with, and your enviroment.

in other words, if you work slowly and in the wrong enviroment like direct sun on you, it's possible that you will hurt the plant.

if you managed to entangle some plants and are to place the first into it's new potting mix, don't let the not processed plants roots get any direct sunlight or the chance to dry up, even so slightly, what i do is to cover them with loose potting mix.

and i thought this topic is about haze needing a strong man like myselfe, giving him a much needed hand, transplanting his 30kg iboga root, haha.

Edited by planthelper

Lol, Thanks people. Ill wait till they get a little bigger and hope for the best :lol:

I had my iboga plant only move to another location (friend's house) in the same pot, it couldn't handle the stress and died. Conditions there were almost the same as in here.