The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Cyjack

Home made Green house -

Greetings -

I live on the south coast of NSW (just south of Sydney) and I want to build a green house in my back yard to house my more tropical plants. Our summers here can get in the high 30s'© but the cooler months can drop the air to the low teens.

Thus the green house.

My problem is, I am not certain on what a green house IS exactly or what I should be looking out for. What I have already is a frame in a spot that gets the early eastern and middle sun, covered in clear hard plastic roof sheeting and surrounded by clear plastic film (from hardware store). I thought it was ok untill I began to wonder if I wasnt going to roast the poor life I am planning to place in it, since I had not considered the ventilation option...

Are there any suggestions on parameters for a home made green house?

Thanks - :)

My glasshouse was purchased via the trading post, for about $300. New, this model is about $2000. Some glass was missing or broken, and as it was a "lean to" setup, an extra solid wall was constructed. The whole thing costed about $400 in the end. Even though I live in Victoria, shade cloth (included with mine) and white wash for some of the glass is a must, as my cacti/tropicals WILL burn. If you're thinking about making your own using plastic, make sure that it is durable over time against UV light, otherwise it'll just disintegrate.

Cheers, Jon

im currently making a cacti house and i bought a portable car port as the frame, these are good size, 3x6m which is $130 compared with the $1000 greenhouses. the frame itself could be screwed to gether or concreted to a base. i only use mine at half the height. will post some pics on eba soon, nearly done:D.

That car port idea is a good one. I have seen those at the hardware store, but had not considered them as a substitute for a frame.

At the moment I already have a strong frame in the ground and clear plastic UV protected sheets for the roof. The temporary walls are builders film (untill I can afford the clear plastic wall sheets) but I was begining to worry about exactly just how hot it can get inside an all clear plastic box in the middle of summer.

Of course I fantasised about automatic watering systems and temp control climate with self opening windows, but the prices of those things are fantasies of a different kind. I think Cacti Masters' trading post bargin is the more realistic ideal though. If something similar shows up, please let us know -

My thanks all -

even here in the snowies the summer temps inside my hothouse can range up to 52 degrees, takes your breath away! trick is to water often and most things will cope. ventilation can only go so far on hot days, cacti love it - with plenty of water and nutrient you can nearly watch them grow. more sensitive items like papaver can be put in the shade under benches and they'll power away.

The green house is finished - although in the recent windy weather, I found out that staples and plastic sheeting really dont go too well. Enter -> Liquid Nails!

Greenhouse1.jpg

The house holds remarkable humidity and temperature - although I will have to wait for winter to know if it has been worthwhile.

Ironically, I built the house to keep B.Caapi warm in winter, but because it was taking so long, I kept leaving B.Caapi outside next to an old plum tree and...

Who am I to seperate the two now? :)

Cheers -

[ 15. December 2004, 17:33: Message edited by: Cyjack ]