The Corroboree
Mr. Green

CHALIPONGA CUTTINGS

Sweet!!!

Be sure to load the pics as I'm interested in your success at aquiring this sp. into your collection!

Edited by lsdreamz

Cool. How do you know they are genuine?

Edited by lsdreamz

I got to have a look (and taste) of D. cabrerana when I was in Ecuador. It is very similar to caapi, but you can see differences. I'll see if I can post some photos later. I didn't see any seeds and my friends there said it did not produce seeds so they must be very rare.

I'm interested to know how you came into possession of this species Mr. Green - ah, I see you are in the netherlands which would make it a bit easier than for us getting it in australia.

The interpetiolar stipular ridge should distinguish it from caapi. The seeds also are nothing like caapi from readings, they are more so a tighter floating frilly ball (i.e. water yage, hence you'd expect seed to be water dispersed) than a winged samara type.

There is some good info in the forums about it's ID characteristics.

Edited by lsdreamz

what do you mean get rid of, it's a quarantine issue, if it apparently rarely seeds, then the importation of live plant material is the option which is a pain in the arse and takes lots of organisation, resources, time and money.

i actually touched the plant chaliponga in ecuador, i was so tempted to take a cutting as i was of the black aya vine but whats the point , they would have forund it , they practically stripped searched me coming back into oz. Would cuttings survive anal insertion ? lol :blink::wacko::bootyshake:

Edited by lsdreamz

absolutely, if someone was persistent enough it would get through eventually, i'm talking going through legal routes in a nursery situation.

I've heard rumours it's already in Australia but people are sitting on it, but that's rumour and i'm fairly well out of any loops.

I can see your point re it's use, and maybe that's so, but to me it's a fairly silly method IMO given the abundance of native species, but whatever floats peoples boats i guess.

Edited by gerbil

Edited by lsdreamz

I WANT ONE!! hahaha

Yeah so do I, I'd love to grow some chaliponga.....

Peace

Edited by lsdreamz

I am hoping to organise a group trip to stay with my friends in the secoya community of san pablo in eastern ecuador next year. They have chaliponga and other plants, and hopefully we will be able to bring some portable tissue culture materials and grab some sterile cultures of the plants to get back into aus more easily. Profits from sales of the plants in Aus. can go back to the community to fund their conservation foundation and ecotourism ventures.

If we have enough people, we will be able to charter a boat from Coca to go down the Rio Napo to Iquitos... with lots of ethnobotanising along the way :).

Edited by occidentalis

Hi people,

I actually have a connection who's living in the amazon jungle itself. My source cultivates chaliponga there, he says it's the genuine diplopterys cabrerana. I am getting a fresh cutting and really hopes it will survive the trip. Here is a picture:

Its the most right cutting.

post-5905-127031149715_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Green

I am hoping to organise a group trip to stay with my friends in the secoya community of san pablo in eastern ecuador next year. They have chaliponga and other plants, and hopefully we will be able to bring some portable tissue culture materials and grab some sterile cultures of the plants to get back into aus more easily. Profits from sales of the plants in Aus. can go back to the community to fund their conservation foundation and ecotourism ventures.

If we have enough people, we will be able to charter a boat from Coca to go down the Rio Napo to Iquitos... with lots of ethnobotanising along the way :).

Sound like the ethnobotanical trip of a life time!!

I'm planning to go to South America next year and would be very interested in joining the group.

Well, I truly do hope it is genuine Diplopterys cabrerana!

Yes me too, i will clone it and maybe i will find a way to get it into AUS...

Yes me too, i will clone it and maybe i will find a way to get it into AUS...

We will be forever greatful if you do.

Good luck Mr. Green and may your cutting knife run true.

Edited by rahli

ARE YOU SURE?!?!?!

PLEASE GET PLANTS INTO THE U.S. AND EUROPEAN MARKETS!!!

This is a little ambitious i admit but i was actualy wondering if there would be interested in some sort of group trip to peru or wherever the location may be over that way? I would love to go! But its not a place i would like to go on my own. Not to bring up any stereotypes but from what i KNOW about the place i wouldnt feel good on my own not knowing the language or wtf i was doign when i got there lol

What about we hire a yacht so we can sneek our cuttings back into Aus....under the cover of night. A few Indonesians can smuggle thousands of people on to our shores and we can't even bring in one little old plant :P

Well make it work!!! First thing is to get the cutting in a healthy condition overseas. then revive it to make it a big plant with enough plant material take cuttings distribute them >:) Wish me luck!