The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
btotl

When can you cut off Cacti Pups?

My Trich. Bridgesii has formed to pups at its base, just wondering when I can cut them off and plant them.

Thank you in advanced. :wink:

I always go by the rule when they are twice as long as they are thick, but I don't tend to cut them off without a good reason. You should really just allow them to grow while making sure you provide enough root space for the addition.

~Michael~

The main issue with cutting off base pups is if they are below the soil line & you cut them off below the soil line there is a high chance of infection or rot setting in

If your main aim is Propagation & to have more plants, i would cut the main growing tip & let the pups grow to 30cm or more & then take them off 10cm above ground level next growing season. (this is what i have done with a eileen i got from sharax last season)

Its risky IMO to take pups from below the soil line But i did some scop pups yesterday

what i did was dug down to where the pups emerge from the main plant & cut at the join ,

I will leave the stump to heal for about a month before backfilling the soil i dug out around the base

(i hope you understand my explanation) :blush:

Edited by mac

The main issue with cutting off base pups is if they are below the soil line & you cut them off below the soil line there is a high chance of infection or rot setting in

If your main aim is Propagation & to have more plants, i would cut the main growing tip & let the pups grow to 30cm or more & then take them off 10cm above ground level next growing season. (this is what i have done with a eileen i got from sharax last season)

Its risky IMO to take pups from below the soil line But i did some scop pups yesterday

what i did was dug down to where the pups emerge from the main plant & cut at the join ,

I will leave the stump to heal for about a month before backfilling the soil i dug out around the base

(i hope you understand my explanation) :blush:

This is a really good explanation of what sounds like a great technique, cheers Mac.

Not a good time of year to be takin cuttings in the southern states of Au, wait till it warms up a lil, if you dont you are just inviting rot to come party on the stump and the cutting if you dont heal it inside where its warm and dry.

stitched up>>

waning moon is best for cuttings

very interesting!

is it the opposite with grafting???