The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Aptenia cordifolia

Has anyone ever made kougoed or perfromed an extract from Aptenia cordifolia? My girlfriend has a large patch growing in her yard. It contains mesembrine alkaloids, in appreciable quanitites, as demonstrated in this article (although I've only read the abstract). Any first hand information would be appreciated.

*shameless plug for Snu's Garden of Eden - buy it if you haven't yet*

I had a play with it and got a tiny bit of black oil which was interesting but not worth the effort IMO. Think planthelper found that DCM or chloroform was really needed to get the actives out in an AB, I didn't find DCM pulled much at all. I think I remember planthelper playing with it and posting some good details, maybe see if you can find his posts in the pharm and chem forum.

"Aptenia cordifolia is used by Zulu healers in S. Africa as one of their important medicinal plants. The leaves may be infused to relieve sore throat and perspiration; the herb is also anxiolytic, and acts as an antiinflammatory when applied externally.Interestingly, a black powder prepared from the plant is reputedly endowed with magical properties, and used to protect agains sorcery (Van Wyk & Gericke 2000, Van Wyk et al. 1997) Prepared in the same manner as Sceletium spp., this common and attractive ornamental plant has been found to have similar effect to S. tortuosum, but is of lower potency (pers. comms.)...

Aptenia cordifolia may contain significant levels of mesembrine-type alkaloids, as compared to other Aizoaceae, though still only 13.6% of the levels found in Sceletium tortuosum. Mesembrine [c. 9.7% of the extract], 4'-O-demethylmesembranol [c. 14.4% of extract] and three unidentified compounds were observed; 2 of these, comprising c.4.8% of the extract, appear to be indoles (Smith, M.T. et. al. 1998)"

Edited by Alchemica

Why didn't I look there first? :unsure: I guess I wasn't at home when I made this thread...

Hmm, 13.6% of the levels in S. tortuosum is pretty poor. I'll go read Snu's book.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1833&st=0

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2024&view=&hl=sceletium&fromsearch=1

the 2nd link is fractals work, i could not find my own extraction report,

anyway you need chloroform, nothing else will pull proper.

Thanks for the links PH. Where and how does one acquire chloroform? Would ether work in its place?

ether would not work much.

chloroform you can buy/order from the pharmacy, it's expensive stuff, 250ml is enough for the job.

avoid the fumes.

Yes most definitely edible, great in salads.

I did a Aptenia extraction with Fractal years ago

We used DCM as I recall

and produced a yellow oil, which was smoked with no effect other than a headache.

Tasty though, thanks Alice.