The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mushroomman

lophophora fricii graft (will it keep growing or die?)[img]http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz109/681986jordan/?action=view&current=PC100472.jpg[/im

a few weeks ago my loph fricii graft split, at first i thought it was from over watering or fert, but over the last week or two a pup from the stock has come through the split.

has this happened to anyones grafts befor? will my fricii keep growing off the side or die?

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz109/681986jordan/PC100472.jpg[/img]"]My link[/url]

Edited by mushroomman

Hasnt happend to me bud, that doesnt look good. Looks like mites have taken over that cactus too. Regrafting would be my advise...

Good luck bud

It appears that the stock tip was not cut low enough and the apical meristem has continued to grow through the scion. Unless the scion is regrafted elsewhere, it is likely to be terminal. Did you ensure the stock was cut a few inches from the tip, or was it cut close to the tip when the graft was done? It just doesnt look like a pup - moreso a tip coming through the scion.

That looks nasty. Re-graft!

A question to those with more experience while I'm at it though... if mushrooman were to cut the scion, (loph) whilst it's still attached to the stock leaving a few areoles on the scion, (taking enough of the loph to regraft) then cutting out the regrowth of the trick, (stock - meristem) would the loph pup and continue to be a happy graft?

I guess what I am asking here is not necessarily to do with the graft in question above but say on a graft that is in perfect health... can a loph graft be cut like a normal rooted, living in the ground loph leaving some areoles and have it continue to grow?

I hope I'm being clear enough in my description to be understood here!

Ta.

mz

Edited by meanies

It appears that the stock tip was not cut low enough and the apical meristem has continued to grow through the scion. Unless the scion is regrafted elsewhere, it is likely to be terminal. Did you ensure the stock was cut a few inches from the tip, or was it cut close to the tip when the graft was done? It just doesnt look like a pup - moreso a tip coming through the scion.

i only cut about an inch off the stock when i grafted it. i will regraft it today ,i cant beleave that it has made a new tip when the graft had doubled in size over a month and then this,oh well i know to cut more off the stock now.

thanks everyone for the fast replies and help much appreciated

if mushrooman were to cut the scion, (loph) whilst it's still attached to the stock leaving a few areoles on the scion, (taking enough of the loph to regraft) then cutting out the regrowth of the trick, (stock - meristem) would the loph pup and continue to be a happy graft?

No - the scion was not properly grafted in the first place (by the look of it) and leaving any would result in it just shrivelling up. You can certainly do this with a happy, healthy graft and rapidly expand collection numbers, but I doubt it would be successful with this particular one.

To do it with a healthy graft, just cut the top of the scion (enough to root on it's own or to use as another scion) and the remaining scion will callous at the wound then pup, forming new heads which can also be degrafted/regrafted.

Edit - just saw mushroomman's post. On second look, I'm not sure if you will have any luck regrafting being so dehydrated and calloused. You may be better off degrafting and trying it on its own roots. It may survive as a regraft, but I'm just a little wary of the split, callous, dehydration and the size of the scion. Never know your luck though :)

Edited by Ace

hi all ,just regrafted it then. i will post some pics in the weeks to come to show progress if there is any, which i hope there will be

thanks again :lol:

Thanks Ace. I'm just starting a whole new batch of seedlings atm and have some older grafts that I was wondering what to do with. I'm going to try some cutting scions and regrafting them. Cool. I love cacti :)

P1100572.jpg

i think she's going to live now :lol:

And yes, she's a fricii :)

whisperz,...

what made your fricii split?

anyone got pics of there grafted friciis they can post?

2 things really...

One was an insect or mouse bite, (it wasn't a split at first)... while

also, (just happened to be) a poor section of the fusing of the scion

right under the bite area. So I figured the 2 worked together and caused

the eventual split a week later...

whisperz,...

should have left it may have gotten a chimera out of it :)

still have the tip with with a bit of the fricii on it ,trying to root it now just didnt want to risk loosing it as i only have 2 friciis so if it keeps growing it should send out a couple pups :)