The Corroboree
hutch

Can anyone ID this for me. It's wierd or weird?

Question

The black marks on the gills are from my fingers touching it. Took about 5 seconds to go black. The Gills are like a sponge. Any help greatly appreciated.

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad146/coontakunti/strange%20mushroom/sidev.jpg

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad146/coontakunti/strange%20mushroom/cap.jpg

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad146/coontakunti/strange%20mushroom/gills.jpg

Hutch :wink:

8 answers to this question

blue staining bolete ?....Basidiomycetes.Boletes (mushrooms with pores) should be more blue grey when cut down the guts... unknown edibility

Boletellus obscurecoccineus var cyanescens... maybe?

(oh - and I before E except after C excluding weird words)

Edited by CrayZ

Great looking mushroom! Sure haven't seen it. Seem like something that would be classed in Xerocomus group.

yep bolete of some description...

it could be Boletellus obscurecoccineus as crayZ said but i don't think they stain as strongly as that...

blue staining bolete ?....Basidiomycetes.Boletes (mushrooms with pores) should be more blue grey when cut down the guts... unknown edibility

When i was about 9 or 10 i did something extremely stupid. i found a large red & yellow Boletus which stained bright blue. i'd heard stories about older kids eating magic mushrooms around there, but at that stage all i basically knew was magic mushrooms stain blue & this huge bright red & yellow blue staining mushroom looked pretty magic to my utterly naive but intrepid aspiring psycho-naught mind & i stupidly decided to take a bite. i chewed up & swallowed probably a 2cm square piece.

i didn't have that much but but i didn't die or get sick. so there you have it. don't ever do it

When i was about 9 or 10 i did something extremely stupid. i found a large red & yellow Boletus which stained bright blue. i'd heard stories about older kids eating magic mushrooms around there, but at that stage all i basically knew was magic mushrooms stain blue & this huge bright red & yellow blue staining mushroom looked pretty magic to my utterly naive but intrepid aspiring psycho-naught mind & i stupidly decided to take a bite. i chewed up & swallowed probably a 2cm square piece.

i didn't have that much but but i didn't die or get sick. so there you have it. don't ever do it

i did the same exact thing for the same reasons when i was in early teens lol , except i ate one or two whole ones but with no ill effects, had very mild visuals which were probably only a placebo effect...not every thing that stains blue is magic lol

I got a few of them come up during our recent wet spell. Very trippy looking things but don't think I would eat them. I have just been blown away by the different types of fungus that I have come across after 9 days of rain. Nothing with blue spores unfortunately..

The black marks on the gills are from my fingers touching it. Took about 5 seconds to go black. The Gills are like a sponge. Any help greatly appreciated.

http://i930.photobuc...ushroom/cap.jpg

Hutch :wink:

that second one looks like a penis with a bad fungal infection. please excuse my tasteless homor.BANGHEAD2.gif