The Corroboree
mutant

Two columnar ID

Question

Hi!

I got these from summer, any idea on the ID?

Guesses????

I say this Pilosocereus sp. [??]

P1000113.jpg

And this Polaskia sp. [???]

P1000114.jpg

Hit me with your guesses!

Edited by mutant

17 answers to this question

Hi Mutant, nice find. The first one looks like a Stenocereus/Lemaireocereus. The second one is probably polaskia chichipe!

bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

I would have said Myrtillocactus sp. for the second one, but the colour of the flesh throws me a little. Could be due to growing conditions though.

I actually thought it was some Myrtillocactus species, other than geometrizans of which I got heaps. Maybe it is

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_guide/cacti_guide2.shtml Polaskia

EDITED BY EG. This post was from the time before i took over and every old topic that will be brought back up will be moderated so think twice. Linking to scientific papers is alright and thats why i kept the link in the post.

Edited by Evil Genius

I think the first one might just be a cereus after all

Alright, like mentioned in blowngs post: The posts in question were from the time before WT and i started in the cactus forum. Only thing that is allowed is linking to scientific papers so edited out everything that wasnt conform with the rules. Sometimes its best to leave old threads where they are if you dont want us moderating em. No Discussion on the subject of potency and mescaline. If the exception with the linking is getting out of hand, we´ll need to talk about it internally. Personally, i dont like it at all and i would love to get rid of it.

Edited by Evil Genius

Hi Micoz, i dont think so. The distance between the areoles is proportionally a lot higher in mutants plant than in case of Schenkii. Thats like a huge difference. Also schenkii has felted areoles and this one hasnt. At least not as much as schenkii. The spines in mutants pic are white while the ones on schenkii are brown. bye EG

Edited by Evil Genius

I think it will only be schenkii or coachal ( spelling )It looks identical to one i bought labelled as schenkii. But im no expert.

Hi Micosz, that i could believe. Interesting cactus....you have a picture of yours? I wanna get to know the species a little bit better and most pics i found online seem not to look very typical for it. bye EG

pics soon..ish, ive had major computer problems lately and pretty much lost all my photographic records of cacti. I'll try n take a few new ones of the myrtillo soon.

This one i had labelled as Schenkii. but a quick google search tends to suggest its cochal. I reckon this is the same as mutants 2nd pic. whatever it is.

post-4415-0-44734800-1315452714_thumb.jp

post-4415-0-44734800-1315452714_thumb.jpg

post-4415-0-44734800-1315452714_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look like the polaskia chichipe I have EG id', doesn't have the purple ribs. Nice cactus what ever it is though :)

post-9625-0-53438700-1315454251_thumb.jp

post-9625-0-53438700-1315454251_thumb.jpg

post-9625-0-53438700-1315454251_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bretloth

I think the polaskia is the best ID yet. And yes it has shown purple colours. The Cereus [first pic] is dead and the polaskia was damaged too from frost.

Nice plant, micoz. Looks more like a myrtillocactus