The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Strangler fig giveaway.

As some of you are aware, I'm going overseas for while and need to cull my collection.

I have around 30 or so seed grown Australian strangler figs (Ficus watkinsiana) which I cannot keep. Two are enough for me.

So, I'd like to find good homes for them. They are a beautiful plant and have an awesome growth habit. They don't need a host to parasitise though, they do fine as a free standing plant.

They are two years old.

If anyone would like a free strangler fig or three, let me know. You'll have to pay for postage though.

hey man, sounds cool, i wouldn'tmind getting few off you :) i was just thinking the other day that i wanted to plant some stranglers on a spot on the property!

let us know how much postage would be for 3 to NSW (city)

thanks for the generosity!

Send me a PM. Will be driving through Sydney tomorrow, so if it wasn't too out of the way, I may be able to drop some off to you. Otherwise, I guess it would be something around $12 for postage.

Nice to hear they wouldn't be made into bonsais.

how did u get them to germinate tripsis?

Hey Tripsis, i'll definately take 3 thanks for your generousity, you have my postcode :rolleyes: , just pm me postage.

Arieon

I'd defintely be interested! I love figs.

Only thing is I'm pretty sure they wouldn't survive a Canberra winter outside. Do you think they would do alright indoors over winter?

M

how did u get them to germinate tripsis?

I picked up the fruits in a rainforest in NNSW. They were in a plastic bag in my backpack for a couple of weeks while I continued a roadtrip and by the time I got home they had germinated. Once I saw this I carefully transplanted as many as possible plus all the ungerminated seeds and the rest is history.

I'd definitely be interested! I love figs.

Only thing is I'm pretty sure they wouldn't survive a Canberra winter outside. Do you think they would do alright indoors over winter?

I would think so, they are very hardy. In winter they'll slow right down and produce much smaller leaves, but that's it. Not sure of their frost tolerance, but indoors should be fine.

Here's something a bit trippy....

Just last week I was at the local market asking the rainforest tree people for

Ficus Watkin..whatsis

I had an idea that they would be great for encasing a concrete statue or building as a bit

of living enviro-art.

Really beautiful trees and great to climb when they make a mesh tube out of another tree

I have only managed to germinate one many years ago and a cow ate it before it got to be big.

If you can send me some I will plant a couple on the camphors around the house.

Still a fair few left.

If you'd like some, PM me and we can take it from there.

thanks tripsis.

got em today all good