The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bushy

Snuff

Hey all. I wonder if any of you could enlighten me as to the botanical composition and preparation of dmt snuff(s)... I have read a few times of Amazonians relying on the use of dmt-containing snuff, but am unsure of its exact nature. I mean, is it enough to just powder up some viridis or something? Also, are admixtures much of an issue here?

Cheers,

Curious Bush.

There is heaps of info on sth american snuffs on this site, erowid etc, do some searching, google it.

There are various snuffs throughout sth america, primarily consisting of tryptamines, beta carbolines and and an alkaline substance like lime.

yopo, a snuff made from the seeds of anadenanthera peregrina (sometimes a. colubrina) and the vine banisteriopsis caapi, and ash from a certain tree, not sure of the ID. There is a paper on here about piaroa use of this snuff, worth searching for.

peregrina would be primarily DMT, colubrina primarily bufotenin. a. peregrina being favoured.

Although a. peregrina seeds are illegal to import to australia.

Theoretically, the easiest snuff to acquire and prepare would probably be colubrina seeds, though it's not dmt.

re: psychotria in snuff, i have no idea, maybe it just takes too much leaf to snuff, would be interesting to see if a caapi/psychotria snuff produces good effects.

Ott published a whole book on it

its about $200 but if you are into it seriously..

I dont have it but ive seen it and its information dense

Interesting thing is that only small amounts of MAOi are needed to drastically potentiate snuffed tryptamines like 5 MeO

I thought the Yopo snuff was a mix of bufotenine and 5 meo with lesser amounts of DMT?

Im yet to be convinced of the merits of nasal ingestion

Been researching this myself 5Meo that is:

5-MeO-DMT Info

from Pharmacotheon

by Jonathan Ott

Like DMT, this drug is evidently not active orally. Smoked it is about four times the potency of DMT. Shulgin conducted experiments with nine subjects, finding that smoking 6-10 mg of the free base of 5-MeO-DMT produced an entheogenic effect starting in less than 60 seconds, reaching a peak in two to three minutes and lasting about twenty minutes (Shulgin in DeSmet 1983). Shulgin had earlier reported the 5-10 mg of 5-MeO-DMT was active by parenteral injection (Shulgin 1970). In combination with MAO-inhibitors, 5-MeO-DMT is active orally at a dose of 10 mg (Callaway 1992). While Jeremy Bigwood and I once commented that 5-MeO-DMT had "little recreational value" (Bigwood & Ott 1977) and M.V. Smith compared the effects of this drug to having a large elephant sit on one's head (Smith 1976), nevertheless it has its adherents, and recently a modern ritual cult has grown up around the "Toad of Light," Bufo alvarius, whose toxin contains principally 5-MeO-DMT. As mentioned above, adherents of the "Church of the Toad of Light" collect and dry the venom of this toad for smoking as a sacrament (Davis & Weil 1992; Krajick 1992; Most 1984). The asymmetrical isopropyl analogue of 5-MeO-DMT, 5-methoxy-N-methyl-N-isopropyltryptamine (5-MeO-MIPT) is active orally at a 5 mg dose, but like the DMT analogue MIPT produces amphetamine like stimulation and not entheogenic effects (Repke et al. 1985).

Examination of snuff preparations found DMT, bufotenine and 5-MeO-DMT in yopo snuff from Colombia, and the same compounds plus harmine in a snuff prepared from A. peregrina by Piaroa Indians of the Orinoco basin (Holmstedt & Lindgren 1967).

[...]

Numerous species of Virola have been studied chemically, and the bark from which the snuffs are prepared contains chiefly DMT and 5-MeO-DMT as entheogenic principles (Agurell et al. 1969; Holmstedt 1965; Holmstedt et al. 1980; McKenna et al. 1984b), although tryptamine, N-monomethyltryptamine (MMT or NMT), 5-methoxy-N-monomethyltrytamine (5-MeO-MMT), and 2-methyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-B-carboline (MTHC) have also been found in bark and bark exudates (Holmstedt et al. 1980). Bark of V. sebifera, reportedly smoked in Venezuela, has been shown to contain DMT, 5-MeO-DMT and MMT (Corothie & Nakano 1969; McKenna et al. 1984b). Tryptamines, principally DMT, have been found in leaves, roots and shoots of Virola species, with 4-MeO-DMT, MMT and 6-MeO-DMT being also prominent constituents of some species (Holmstedt et al. 1980). The usually small quantities of Beta-carbolines detected in Viorola species by Agurell's and Holmstedt's groups were not confirmed in analyses of bark and leaf samples of various Virola species in subsequent work (McKenna & Towers 1985; McKenna et al. 1984b). The following Virola species have been found to contain tryptamines: V. calophylla, V. calophylloidea, V. carinata, V. divergens, V. elongata, V. melinonii, V. multinervia, V. peruviana, V. pavonis, V. rufula, V. sebifera, V. theiodora and V. venosa (Holmstedt et al. 1980; McKenna et al. 1984b).

Chemical analysis of four specimens of epena found 5-MeO-DMT to be the main components in three preparations (made by the Tukano, Waika and Araraibo Indians of Brazil and Venezuela), followed by DMT in all of the snuffs. The Tukano snuff contained also 5-Me)-MMT, and the Waika snuff contained MMT.

[...]

A Brazilian epena snuff prepared from Virola theiodora was found to contain principally 5-MeO-DMT, with lesser amounts of DMT, MMT, 2-methyl-tetrahydro-beta-carboline (MTHC) as well as its 6-methoxy derivative. A Brazilian nyakwana snuff prepared from the same species likewise contained principally 5-MeO-DMT, with lesser amounts of DMT, MMT, 5-MeO-MMT and 6-MeO-MTHC, a total of 11% alkaloids. It would appear that in general 5-MeO-DMT and DMT are the principal entheogenic constituents of epena and related snuffs. These compounds together with the inactive MMT, were recently found in several samples of Yanamamo snuffs from Venezuela (McKenna et al. 1984b).

Last Modified - Thu, Jun 7, 2001 Used by Erowid (and me)without permission of author

quote:

In combination with MAO-inhibitors, 5-MeO-DMT is active orally at a dose of 10 mg (Callaway 1992).

Isn't that rather cool? I mean, 10mg orally??

Sounds worth investigating, yes?

Microhuasca, maybe. :P

What and no green spew?

I think bushy might be referring to the epena snuffs. These contain mostly dmt rather than bufotenine and 5MeO. They are made from the resin of certain Virola sp trees. The resin is made into a fine powder and then snorted.

Yopo (A.peregrina) is also mostly dmt, with a bit of 5MeO thrown in. The whole point of the yopo snuff (in comparison to cebil) is that it doesn't contain much bufotenine. However, don't be fooled by what is offered on the internet. I have yet to see any peregrina seeds offered that are not in fact colubrina.

I expect to have some Virola theiodora seedlings available by late summer.

Torsten:

I think bushy might be referring to the epena snuffs. These contain mostly dmt rather than bufotenine and 5MeO. They are made from the resin of certain Virola sp trees. The resin is made into a fine powder and then snorted.

I don't think Ott would in general agree. From the Pharmacotheon:

quote:

A Brazilian epena snuff prepared from Virola theiodora was found to contain principally 5-MeO-DMT, with lesser amounts of DMT, MMT, 2-methyl-tetrahydro-beta-carboline (MTHC) as well as its 6-methoxy derivative. A Brazilian nyakwana snuff prepared from the same species likewise contained principally 5-MeO-DMT, with lesser amounts of DMT, MMT, 5-MeO-MMT and 6-MeO-MTHC, a total of 11% alkaloids.

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to champion Ott's opinion over yours; I'm just pointing out that there are differences in opinion on Bufotinen, 5MEODMT, and N,NDMT when it comes to activity in the various entheogenic snuffs.

Originally posted by Anonymous:

I don't think Ott would in general agree.

I wasn't referring to Virola theiodora, but rather V.calophylla, which in most analyses lacks 5MeO-DMT altogether and is almost purely DMT. There are two other species of Virola that contain no 5MeO-DMT, but they are not classed as epena as far as I know (V.sebifera, V.pavonis).

But you are right that epena snuff more commonly contain a mix of 5MeO-DMT and DMT, with the former in greater quantity.

I've been doing a bit of research into V.calophylla as I have finally managed to source some seed (as well as V.theiodora) :):)

Thanks for the clarification Torsten. I must admit, the snuff nomenclature gets a little confusing at times! :confused: